Engine change

superls

K10 Tuner
Hi gan someone please help me.

i am going to replace the MA10 1litre engine in my K10 with the 1.2 MA12 K10 engine.

as i want to keep everything legal and above board, how do i go on about letting the dvla know? will i have to have the car assesed and get an engineers report if i do the work myself? and what about letting my insurance know will they need a report of some kind?

any info greatly anticipated,
superls

All i did was send off the V5 with the engine number and CC change.

Phoned insurance company and notified them of the change.

That was it, nothing more, you only need a report if the engine change effects the chassis or something like that, some kind of structural change.

This was from a CG10 to CG13 1996 K11

cheers ollie, ill risk phoning the insurance tomorrow, th see if there is an increase in premium, i hope not.

did yours increase?

im 19 on my first years own insurance

Insurence Companies like to use anything to increase your premium..

".. You car has an ENGINE.. has it?... Hmm.. Well that might change things a little..."

i phoned the insurance and they said that if i had it done than i would need to get an engineers report done on the car, plus they wont give me a new quote until i get the work done and get the report done.

thats quinn direct for you

I thought you would only need an engineers report if the engine change changed the vehicles structural strength? Like cutting bits out, welding new cross members. etc.

Yeah thats crap! When getting a quote, assume the work has been carried out. Make them believe you already own a 1.2 and if they ask, just say it was fitted when the 1.0 blew up or something.

i would try a new insuranec bu my renewil is in a couple of months so i will leave it for now. when i phoned them up i said that my 1 litre had blown up and could only get a '1.2 direct fitment no alterations needed ma12 micra engine' and he still said that i needed an engineers report.????

Nope, as above, its for structural stuff! a straight swap wouldn't need a report. Go somewhere else, Tesco or Admiral

Back