Engine oil and gearbox oil ?

Hey peeps,

Car - W reg 16 micra 998cc

Could someone tell me which grade of engine oil and gearbox oil i need for this?

Also how would i go about changing the gearbox oil in the micra?

Thanks
Ming

Right been on opei website found engine oil is 5/30 and gearbox oil is 75/90.

How do i change the gearbox oil ? Are there fill hole, drain hole ?

Usually there is a breather you could just put oil in till it drips out of the fille hole, is that correct for the micra?

Thanks
Ming

Ah so would you recommend 10/40 then ? As that is much cheaper!

Do you have a picture of the level and drain plug then :D? Any special tools to get them off?

Also is there a breather of some sort to make filling it up easier?

also do youk now how many litre i should buy ? Want to keep the cost down :).

Thanks
Ming

i used castrol gtx 10w40 found from tesco for bout 18quid and halfords 70/80 manual gearbox oil. no probs at all.

on my 1998 slx the gearbox drain plug is at the very bottom left of the gearbox with a 1/2" square hole (i use by 1/2" breaker bar to undo it). and i fill up the gearbox by taking out the gearbox speedo cable & speedo spindle unit (remove 10mm bolt) and fill up via the exposed hole

How many litre of gearbox oil would i need (approx). Should i get 2 L or 3 L ?

And stop filling till it comes out the level plug ?

where is the level plug ?

Thanks
ming

Maybe not sorry, heres the figures;

1.3 gearbox = 2.8 to 3.0L

1.0 gearbox = 3.1 to 3.3L

Thats for manual transmission boxes.

Could someone please post a picture of the drain plug please?

I think i found the level plug as that is at the bottom (frontish) of the gearbox?

Thanks
Ming

Ah cheers frank will check next time :). Is it at the back of the box then yeah ?

How do people undo the drain plug ? Is it just a case of taking a half inch drive to it ?

Thanks
Ming

The fill plug is nearest the rad.

You can get square drive sockets for the plugs (I just took an adapter socket to it :blush:)

Back