engine not starting

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
Yes you could all see this thread coming (i could) i have put all the pipes to where i believe they go, all the s/c belts are on, oil in, petrol etc, sparks are ok. But... it will not start, cranks over but doesnt even try really, dont know if there is any fuel getting into the cylinders :S

Steve

just poured a little petrol down the intake and it fired up for a second or two, so its fuel, the 3rd fuse in from the door in the fuse box blows when you turn the ignition on so i think its that, have looked at the fuel pump and the wires seem to be ok going to that, any suggestions?

Cheers

Steve

sorted the fuse blowing, but still doesnt want to start, the fuel pump starts up when the ignition is turned on, i have taken the fuel pipe off the top of the fuel filter and there is lots of pressure in the fuel line which pops off with some force when tugged, i dont know if this is normal?, all the injector leads are on, i just cant understand it?

pretty sure its normal to still have pressure in the fuel rail when the car is not running (they always talk about de-pressurerising the system before taking any pipes off)
are you getting a signal to the injectors? check with a multimeter or bulb? are you getting fuel into the rail?

just checked the injectors, there is about 7 -12 volts going to them. there is fuel all the way to where the rubber pipes end and the metal rail begins, i dont know about inside the rail. it splutters when petrol is in the air intake so it seems like something to do with the injectors / fuel system :( ive ran out of ideas, the only thing i can think of if it is a air lock or something similar, but its been turned over that many times i would have thought it would have cleared an airlock?

Any other ideas? or how to check to see of fuel is getting to the injectors as i cant see how to get them out?

i think i have checked this, the pipe from the fuel filter goes straight to the fuel rail and the return is on the other bit, i labeled them up when i took them off so i wouldnt get them mixed up but i dont know? really stuck for ideas now?

on the k11,s the injectors are constant live and signaled via earth steve (not sure on yours tho) you hav,nt left an earth off somewhere have you ?

i dont think so, measured the resistance in the injectors and it comes up with 13.9 - 14 ohms? i will check the earths again, this is turning into a nightmare!

Yes sounds right. Not really looked on this engine but the pipe from the fuel filter will go to one end of the rail, and the pipe from the pressure regulator will return to the tank. You can check it by running a pipe from the pressure regulator into a bottle and cranking the engine - you should get a substantial flow.

I assume the injector fuse is still linked / good connection. Depending how much of the loom youve had unplugged, try spraying the connections with wd40. I had a bad connection when i fitted everything back in and it faulted all my dash stuff...confused me for ages. (k11 of course :) )

Best advice i can give is assume everything is broken. :D

frank is right, the injectors will have a constant live to them and are earthed though the ecu. Put one probe of your multimeter (or bulb) onto one of the injector plug terminals and the other onto the other one (I think this needs to be done in paralel but im not sure I.E take your mesurements while the plug is on the injector) then crank the engine, the blub should flicker (if you use an LED then you will see a more clear responce), or you should see a pulse width on the multimeter, if you are getting this at all the injectors then the injectors are almost definately firing and you will have to look at the fuel to the injectors again. good luck mate(Y)

still havent a clue guys, i think the engine is going to have to come back out :( as getting to any wires on it is an absolute nightmare

You can't be far off

It will fire if you put petrol into the throttle body so you must have some sort of a timed spark.
I take it the fuel rail is flowing fuel.
So is it injecting?

I don't know how good the ECU diags are but it may be worth checking the flash codes on the ECU

The ecu is all connected and checked for loose connections, we took the pressure regulator off the fuel rail and fuel pee'd out of the rail so its there, i just dont know about the injectors. it was running when the engine was took apart but that was 6 months ago :S

Oh and there are two pins on the injector connectors, is this normal?

Steve

I was wondering about checking the ECU in case it would report a crank sensor problem or something else which would prevent it from injecting. There's a procedure for getting the flash codes from them which I could find for you if you don't have it.

Yes the injectors have two pins. I know why your struggling to test them cause there's not a lot of room round them. :)

Have you tried taking a plug out and seeing if its wet with petrol

start

check the timing mate, i had this problem before with my old st, if its cranking over but not starting reset the timing again that might fix the problem

ok cheers guys, will check all this tomorrow :) warren, when you say you had to reset the timing on yours, do you mean the distributor timing or the cam belt or both? cheers

can you normally hear the injectors click when they open and close? Put a screwdriver against them and your ear if necessary. If so, can you manually turn the crank angle sensor (or equivalent), you should hear the injectors click if they are working OK.

crank angle sensor is in the distributor btw.I have not being able to sleep.Steve you fail epically

BTW does it sound like it has compression? ie not turning too easily on the starter motor? you could always try a compression test to make sure the timing is in the right vincinity and that everything is assembled OK

he said it has 75psi compression and I reckon that was the highest figure across the 4 cylinders.To low to start ???

he said it has 75psi compression and I reckon that was the highest figure across the 4 cylinders.To low to start ???

it can be pretty low on a rebuilt engine at first eh (till the rings have bedded in, and with an oilfilm in the bore) and he said it fired up when primed with petrol so fuel related surely ?

yeah if the timing was that far out or there was a major assembly problem the compression would be more like 0 (ie valves open at the wrong time).

75 sounds low but remember the rings haven't bedded yet, I've never actually checked a brand new engine (always too impatient to get it on the dyno lol)

compression is always a long shot....but motors need more than just spark and fuel to run....

I agree with Frank still sounds like fuel...strange when there is fuel returning from the FPR which suggest injectors. If you can't turn the CAS manually to get them to fire, its probably best to pull an injector wiring plug and check it is pulsing.

if you unplug the distrubuter ht lead, crank, then whip out the plugs, if there wet, then theres fuel getting in there, if there dry then there isnt.

to quickly check put the engine to top dead centre. remove the distributor cap and make sure the rotor arm is at number 1. if so then im lost. a guy i know rebuilt his rs turbo and there was no compression when turning over and i think he was towed along the street and bump started it to get the rings bedded in if thats the problem

I've done that before with a rs turbo too stani I think it's common for rs's lol

Steve, you shure you got the fuel lines on the correct way I had the very same issuse with the k11 once fuel in the rail, injectors working ect ect, did my nut in for a wile till my kid brother wiggled the fuel lines and they bursed of from the pressure of cranking it over a cupple of times.

Also ate the vac lines and FPR in working order?

does anyone know , if i took the inlet off and cranked it over, should i see a mist of fuel coming from the manifold or is it almost invisible to see as i think it the problem may now be fuel related

ok, the injectors resistance is ok, the negative switch on the injectors is pulsing with a bulb but it doesnt go, although the same thing is happening with this engine, spray a little fuel in the tb and it fires up for a second mabe then dies again

ok, the injectors resistance is ok, the negative switch on the injectors is pulsing with a bulb but it doesnt go, although the same thing is happening with this engine, spray a little fuel in the tb and it fires up for a second mabe then dies again

Have you tryed opening the throttle a little??

there,s definately a good live to the injectors steve ? (you could try a feed from the batt + to one injector maybe ?)

Ok SCHOOL BOY ERROR!

The engine now splutters into live un-aided, the fuel line and retuen were the WRONG WAY AROUND! :D

so the engine wasnt getting petrol when you said it was thats why it started with putting fuel down the TB. schoolboy error but well done!

Back