engine not starting after fuel pump failure

Hi,
I'm a bicycle mechanic not one for cars but I'm trying to repair my 1999 Micra Fbak11 1.3 Slx.
It was running smooth and without any problems so far. Starting in all conditions doing all distances, etc. Issue free car until it broke down...
I was driving it and sudenly I started loosing power at 70km/h. Reduced gear and everything come back to normality though 2 km later it staled. I restarted it, took of did another km or so. Managed to get out of a tunnel and it staled once again. Engine would start for few seconds and eventualy stop. After few minutes I calling for help I tried once again. It started I managed to do another 2km and it died once again. It was a fuel pump. 270 000 km orginal one. I got new one - delphi replacement. Refitted it with new fuel filter. And yes it started. I let the engine turn for a minute or so and proud of my self turned it of and went home. 2 days later when I wanted to use my car it wont start... fuel pump feeds the vital liquid, starter cranks the engine but I get bo ignition. What should I check next?
Thanks in advance for any clues.

Hi,
I'm a bicycle mechanic not one for cars but I'm trying to repair my 1999 Micra Fbak11 1.3 Slx.
It was running smooth and without any problems so far. Starting in all conditions doing all distances, etc. Issue free car until it broke down...
I was driving it and sudenly I started loosing power at 70km/h. Reduced gear and everything come back to normality though 2 km later it staled. I restarted it, took of did another km or so. Managed to get out of a tunnel and it staled once again. Engine would start for few seconds and eventualy stop. After few minutes I calling for help I tried once again. It started I managed to do another 2km and it died once again. It was a fuel pump. 270 000 km orginal one. I got new one - delphi replacement. Refitted it with new fuel filter. And yes it started. I let the engine turn for a minute or so and proud of my self turned it of and went home. 2 days later when I wanted to use my car it wont start... fuel pump feeds the vital liquid, starter cranks the engine but I get bo ignition. What should I check next?
Thanks in advance for any clues.
dizzy cap ? Maybe damp.
Check for Loose wire on the fuel pump fuse near the battery ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... after a long time... I tried the few drops of fuel down the throttlebody and nothing... looks like the is no spark. How do I check that?

Ok... so I found out that insude of the starter(this box bokter on right side of engine conected with sparkplugs by powercords) has some engine oil inside... a seal inside broken I suppose. How do I get it off to see and replace what I need?

Attachments

• 1432896887198.jpg
    1432896887198.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
The picture above is your distributor ...... It doesnt look to be lots of oil ..... dry it off with tissue and then put it back together again... dont overtighten the cap screws

Then check for a spark on the spark plugs ...... and dont hold one while checking as the shock hurts ;)

Have to say I am thinking this is the old start it up .... turn it off without the car getting hot .. and then "car wont start" issue .... as you said you got it started and then turned it off shortly afterwards .....

If you have a good spark ....... push accelerator pedal to the floor ..... hold it there and then turn car over for about 10 seconds.....DO NOT PUMP ACCELERATOR UP AND DOWN ... Just keep your foot to the floor............... Hopefully it will begin to fire and start ......

Stupid question... how do I check to be 100% sure that I have a spark if I don't have a tool to remove the spark? Any other way?
And about the oil. There was not much on distributor cover but inside parts on its lower part seem to be well 'oiled' and well its not easy to clean it...

BEFORE you check spark .... If you can smell petrol ......... try to turn over for about 10 seconds with accelerator pedal held to the floor ..... I think this may well clear the issue as i suspect the engines flooded....

IF this doesnt work ...

Get / buy a spare spark plug ..... pull off one of the lead caps from the spark plug on the car ... plug your spare spark plug into the cap and hold plug against something metal on the car like the valve cover ...HOLD using something rubber or IDEALLY just prop up with the electrode end touching something metal .... or you will get a big shock ....
Get someone to tuen car over while you look for a nice clean bright spark.

Stupid question... how do I check to be 100% sure that I have a spark if I don't have a tool to remove the spark? Any other way?
And about the oil. There was not much on distributor cover but inside parts on its lower part seem to be well 'oiled' and well its not easy to clean it...

Just clean the distributor as best you can ... not an issue to have a little oil in there .... make sure the plastic cap is clean and dry :)

Ahhhhh RESULT !
No payment required .... very glad it was that.... nice cheap fix ! ....... :)

Always remember if you start Micra ... move it up driveway and then turn it off .... it can flood ....... its a 90s throttle body issue that effects many type of car ... my 95 MERC also did it .......

Also remember always try to start without touching accelerator first ..... Pushing accelerator to floor is only used to clear flooded engine as a last resort :)

Back