new engine not starting

CMF_warpz0r

» CMF Member
hi all

have finished bolting in my japspec engine...

checked that the head was bolted down correctly and the pulleys were alined properly with both camshafts...

i am getting spark and fuel, and upon cranking i am getting a small amount of smoke coming out the exhaust and when the key is released it will try and start the engine but die within 2 seconds...

i am thinking that maybe the injectors are clogged?

what should i test for and do?

thanks

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
You should check the dizzy, I replaced an engine on my old alfa years ago and had a very similar starting situation and it was just a matter of rotating the dizzy 1 point. It was the suggestion of a mechanic friend and it worked first try so thats what I'd be checking.
Good Luck

CMF_warpz0r

» CMF Member
all electricals are connected...

i havent really read much on distributors...

i have kinda put it in the same position that it was in my old engine as i didnt get one on the new engine...

i didnt think that the dizzy would be able to not start the car? i just thought it would make it idle and run really badily until the timing is checked and then it is altered correctly?

CMF_not_another_sunday

» CMF Member
Your dizzy is what controls your spark mate. If its to far out your car will turn, but not fire....until after about 10 minutes....then it will give off a load explosion through your exhaust (not good at 6am with neighbours) id check distributor and make sure you have the spark leads in the right order (might sound stupid...but sometimes its the simplest things we miss)

CMF_warpz0r

» CMF Member
yeah, fuel pump is working as i always let it pump until it stops before cranking for the first time to build up fuel pressure....

im going to change the spark plugs over and then crank without the spark plugs in it to see if the injectors are firing fuel...

CMF_warpz0r

» CMF Member
afm had some tape around it which i removed....

im going to have to check all the wiring again but i doubt that i missed any...

it could be possible that the injectors are clogged....

CMF_warpz0r

» CMF Member
checked timing today

took off the front cover and set the crank to tdc and saw that the intake cam shaft was a bit off so i adjusted to what the manual said 9 o'clock for the intake and 12 o clock for exhaust...

so i bolted her all back up and cranked the car and it did a little bit of a chugg and then stopped as the battery died :(

got that hooked up to a charger now so only 10 more hours til itll be hopefully on the road again

Back