engine not getting to temp

well when i fitted my engine i changed the thermostat to an ebay jobby, and lately my engine temp needle virtually never gets to the halfway mark, even over a long journey, and with no heating on at all!

maye the cheapo thermostat is jammed already.... i was thinking of sourcing a hotter thermostat?

well when i fitted my engine i changed the thermostat to an ebay jobby, and lately my engine temp needle virtually never gets to the halfway mark, even over a long journey, and with no heating on at all!

maye the cheapo thermostat is jammed already.... i was thinking of sourcing a hotter thermostat?

I wish i could have same problem ... heh.

heh i saw your thread just a sec ago and i had a chuckle... we can swap? would be nice for some hot air!

also with the heating on the gauge gets even lower....

i dont elieve my matrix is blocked

Another way to check is just to let the system get cold overnight, start her up and warm her up, feeling all around the system as she does. If it all gets hot as one, then your thermostat is open. If the radiator, top hose and bottom hose stay cold whilst the rest of the engine is getting warm, then the thermostat is closed.

It always amazes me as to how many people sit at thier computer and buy crap from ebay instead of getting out and going to a propper shop. Ebay is not the answer to everything. You should be running an 88'c thermostat and absolutely nothing else. Unleaded fuel is fussy and needs to be burned at 90'c to give maximum effect, hence the 88'c thermostat. For a long time there were a group of idiots within the classic mini comunity who insisted that they needed to run their coopers at fifty something to boost power. Fine if you're using the hundred and umpteen octane leaded fuels of the 1960's but not for 95ron unleaded. Get off ya lazy backsides you internet shoppers!!!!!
:p

Just because a part was already in the car doesn't nessasserily mean that is was the right part to begin with. Sometimes the people in these parts shops just give you any old crap. I've have a shop try to give me a thermostat gasket for a vauxhall, till i told them that i ain't force fitting the wrong parts and #######ed them for it. Then they got me the right part. Don't rely on the moose behind the counter to have the answers coz they deal with hundreds of different cars and can't possibly remember everything. But anyway see how you get on.

Just because a part was already in the car doesn't nessasserily mean that is was the right part to begin with. Sometimes the people in these parts shops just give you any old crap. I've have a shop try to give me a thermostat gasket for a vauxhall, till i told them that i ain't force fitting the wrong parts and #######ed them for it. Then they got me the right part. Don't rely on the moose behind the counter to have the answers coz they deal with hundreds of different cars and can't possibly remember everything. But anyway see how you get on.

i find that offensive..

i can remember part numbers for bmw 3 series bottom arms from 4 different suppliers, carbouretter manufacturers from 80 different cars, the model of rover k series engine just by the head gasket design....... if you work in a motor factors theres that little part of the interview process that they ask if you know about cars or have ever worked on them before.... its there for a reason.....

but it is usualy the mistake of the suppliers, boxing wrongly or even listing the incorect parts.

the problem comes when there are so many variations to vehicles,

take the pug 106 for instance.... there are 16 different types of rear wheel cylinder for this car, and it isnt as simple as being based on year or engine size either.
bendix, lucas etc had contracts with peugeot to supply them with wheel cylinders for 3000 cars, peugeot then made 3001 and needed another supplier, and up steps DBA who then supply another design completely. because its cheaper, they use it... two 106's on the production line, both identical may have different light bulbs, brales cylinders, suspension components, sensors, ignition parts, exhaust parts, wheel bearings, etc etc.......... its manufacturers being inconsistant and cheap.

to supply the wrong thermostat it is simple. the suppliers are unaware that the micra 1275 is the same as the 998cc. they are unaware that the japanese import march is the same car, so they do their own research, they translate the info from japanese to french (as most of these suppliers are french) then we translate it to english and try to cross ref: it. sometimes, rarely, they are cross ref:'d wrongly and you end up with the thermostat for an H2 hummer instead. :laugh::laugh:

but i digress, i dont think i have ever baught any parts from a local supplier for my micra.... bsaicaly because they just didnt stock the items. who's gonna stock parts for the most reliable car ever made?..lol

All it was before I bought one on the bay with other stuff and it was 82 and I went in motor factors the guy I know said the computer came up with 82 and 88 so this time its right

Was a simple mistake on my part in the first place for buying unbranded tat

Antony; i couldn't bothered reading your entire post coz you missed the point entirely and when off on some pathetic defensive rant, which i find offensive. I ain't interested in what you do or don't know. I'm pretty sure that everybody in every part suplier store/autofactor does not know every part number for every part, for every variation of every model for every car made by every manufacturer from 1950 - 2011. That's why we have books and databases. Brain before mouth brother, it works wonders.

my car sits quarter way up all the time unless i am sat in traffic where it stops halfway... but it is colder and doing 70mph on the motorway being fairly low might make a bit of a factor?
my heating and everything works fine.

my car sits quarter way up all the time unless i am sat in traffic where it stops halfway... but it is colder and doing 70mph on the motorway being fairly low might make a bit of a factor?
my heating and everything works fine.

gauge sensor change?

its precisely because you didnt read my entire post that you missed my point completely...

my point was that even if you did know all the part numbers, its the manufacturers using random parts on the production line that messes it up for motor factors.

tbh, anyone on here who has met me will know i really couldnt care less if i offend anyone. i dont do internet wars. its sad and pathetic... offensive or not... thats the end of it.

calm down children i have now fixord the issue, sits nicely and all that...

i believe when i removed the heater matrix to clean when i had the dash out and must have had an air lock as ive had a hell of a job trying to get the top and bottom matrix pipes hot, as he bottom was luke warm at top was boiling.... probably the issue to start with....

owell new thermostat and a stronger coolant mix now anyway

i think nissan forgot to put some bleed valves in!

I'm new to this forum but I've been a mechanic for far too long.
Japanese cars in particular are very sensitive to running at the correct temperature, I've cured many Nissans, Toyotas, Mazdas, Bedford Rascals etc with running problems simply by replacing the thermostat with an OEM one.
Well worth the extra ££ in better running and fuel mileage, it might take 3-4 tankfuls to get your money back and your engine will last longer as well.

Roger.

tbh, anyone on here who has met me will know i really couldnt care less if i offend anyone. i dont do internet wars. its sad and pathetic... offensive or not... thats the end of it.

Nor do i so that's something we agree on then.

mckenziecz; i have to say that the fact that you are still sore over that black super s is pretty sad bro, Shaun's over it and it was his car. At the end of the day you messed me about, not the other way round. I was gonna travel all the way down to west sussex, from leeds to buy some parts and was gonna try and give you a hand get the thing running while i was there. I didn't have to offer any help i could have just asked you to post the parts and left you both to it, so i ain't quite the butthole you claim i am.
All you needed to do was provide me with the address of where i was meeting you, and you wouldn't tell me. I kept getting excuses and false promises that you would tell me. So i effectively told you to forget it coz i ain't got time to be messed about like that. So grow some stones and act like a man instead of a pathetic little school boy. So thank that brother.

jeez who would have thought a simple thread would bring out such chilidish behaviour?

Well sorry dude but you know how things go. The thing with mckenziecz won't make much sense to anyone else but that little thank he did was essentially his way of sticking two fingers up at me coz I told him what I thought of him way back over a year ago when he was messing me around. Ever since then he's done sly little gestures like that whenever it looks like someone is having a pop at me. So that is childish behaviour yes, but the thing with antony is probably more down to misinterpreting each other, which is over and done with.
That sort of thing isn’t so much childish, it's common because hurried post text isn't always as clear as it should be, so misunderstandings are inevitable. But making comments like that will930, when things are already sorted doesn't help because you come across as being condescending. Anyhow I’ve said my piece now; I’m done with it, if you want to drag it on then that's entirely up to you.

i think your new user name should be poke-eye now :laugh:

Well sorry dude but you know how things go. The thing with mckenziecz won't make much sense to anyone else but that little thank he did was essentially his way of sticking two fingers up at me coz I told him what I thought of him way back over a year ago when he was messing me around. Ever since then he's done sly little gestures like that whenever it looks like someone is having a pop at me. So that is childish behaviour yes, but the thing with antony is probably more down to misinterpreting each other, which is over and done with.
That sort of thing isn’t so much childish, it's common because hurried post text isn't always as clear as it should be, so misunderstandings are inevitable. But making comments like that will930, when things are already sorted doesn't help because you come across as being condescending. Anyhow I’ve said my piece now; I’m done with it, if you want to drag it on then that's entirely up to you.

Nor do i so that's something we agree on then.

mckenziecz; i have to say that the fact that you are still sore over that black super s is pretty sad bro, Shaun's over it and it was his car. At the end of the day you messed me about, not the other way round. I was gonna travel all the way down to west sussex, from leeds to buy some parts and was gonna try and give you a hand get the thing running while i was there. I didn't have to offer any help i could have just asked you to post the parts and left you both to it, so i ain't quite the butthole you claim i am.
All you needed to do was provide me with the address of where i was meeting you, and you wouldn't tell me. I kept getting excuses and false promises that you would tell me. So i effectively told you to forget it coz i ain't got time to be messed about like that. So grow some stones and act like a man instead of a pathetic little school boy. So thank that brother.

mate, im sorry. but you are clearly not over it. sending me silly pms. lol why are you bringing this crap up? it wasnt my car or my garage. its like two years and I had nothing to do with it. I was just giving Shaun a favour and trying to comunicate with you cos he didnt have an internet at that time. I still dont know what the address is. just get life mate.

its easily done, i do talk complete and utter rubish sometimes... (ask ED, Kev, James, Alan, Dave, Jim bling, glen, stani, Etaylor etc etc etc) :doh::doh:

Drove the usual 8 miles to my other halfs house heating didnt kick in untill I left the a3 after 6 miles on it! Pulled up checked the hoses tiny leak from thermostat gasket but bottom radiator hose was icy cold I know the cooled coolant flows through it but feels like its cooling too much even though my radiator is shot! Im going to put that pointless metal plate back to keep bay temps at higher level.

But is it possible to cover the radiator like half to stop this?

you know even if the stuff you buy is new its worth testing
any leak may be or is a problem
and a shody rad cap dont help either,you reckon you rads dodgy?

Noticed the same thing with mine today.... Got a feeling she needs more of an overhaul than I first thought

well to be certain im going to recheck the matrix etc etc i know the foam behind the dash needs changing for the air ducts but i remember it melting my face last winter but not anymore

If you dont fill it to the top it will only suck it from expansion tank zed! It works I think the radiator is too efficient!

Back