Saving my Micra or Not

Should I save my Micra?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I bought my first car a Micra S Automatic 1.0L 5 doors back in the end of this September from an garage or trader in London and I paid £900 for it. Given that it have a clear MOT history, 73K on the clock and just passed MOT few days ago.

It was a hell long of story....
On the first day of my ownership, I was driving it back home from London starting to Cardiff starting at around 4:00pm. In the halfway on the journey, it went overheat (Close to the red zone), while smoke start coming out from the bonnet. Being my first car and didn't have any knowledge to car. I was lucky that I just passing a sign that a service station was ahead. With advice from friendly people around and an AA petrol help. I was given an advice to stock up with water and fill it in the radiator when the car cooled down, take breaks to allow the car to cool down, set heater to full blow and continue my journey. With help and luck I make it back to Cardiff safely, I felt so glad when I saw the welcome to Wales sign and reached the toll booth for Severn Bridge. A less than 5 hours journey had become 7.5 hours, it was way passed midnight when I got back to mine. It was checked in a garage the following day. Had its Radiator, Thermostat and ABS belt replaced. The coolant reservoir was broken, with an hole on the top covered with tape, was left unfix as I was told it is not pressurise.
Before I set off the journey, the trader filled water into the radiator.

It is used as my daily a commute between Cardiff and Bridgend (45mins drive each ways).

Had a holiday away, come back and found out, someone knock the passenger side wing mirror off.

So it was back on the road, until now...
Together, we completed half of our Christmas and new year journey. It was Cardiff to Carmarthen then to Sheffield. On the day the journey begin, I have to took it the garage due to burn smell. I was told the problem is on the headlight plug and was replaced on the same day. The car didn't went overheat all these time. I have noticed something unusual before I begin that Journey from Carmarthen. I checked the radiator cap and realise the coolant wasn't at it's top level. My friend helped me to fill up some water in the coolant reservoir. Nothing else unusual other than that. We made two small stops in Aberystwyth and Welshpool, then straight to Sheffield. There were no sign of overheat.
The following day I checked the coolant level and filled a bit more water in the reservoir. Short ride in the morning, then took a friend with me to Bakewell with me and come back.
The next day, I brought some antifreeze from Poundland and filled it to the radiator to the top (used 3/4 of a 1 L bottle). There was no sign of leak. I notice there was some smoke or steam coming out from the exhaust I took the car for a ride around and filled it with full tank of Petrol ready to set off for the following day. After doing some shopping I started the car, It was shaky, I drive a little bit leaving the car park, then an engine warning light suddenly come on. There was still a bit of shaky. I pulled at a nearby petrol station and ring the AA. The petrol plugged a computer to it and told me that there's a misfire detected, which he believe it is the coil pack. I pressed and told him about the missing coolant and white smoke, then he performed a further test from the radiator cap, the liquid turned from blue to green in the special equipment. The petrol then told me, it's likely to be a head gasket problem. The car was then sent back to Cardiff, while I am still continue my journey.

My experience with this car have been troubling, but it is robust and strong car, it never stalled, apart from two occasion it wouldn't start after cold weather.
Could any member give me some advice? I'd would much appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well If the headgasket is gone Its going to be expensive. And after Reading iT all iT doesnt look like youre able to fix iT yourself. Id get a second opinion. Also If i bought a car from a garage And iT overheated on the way back Id call them up And not keep driving around.

Back