Engine Management

CMF_carly

» CMF Member
hi, my micra has done just over 15k and the engine management light has been on for over a year now. however the light seems to go off occasionally which i dont really understand. my engine sound completely normal to me. i took my car to the local nissan dealership and they told me that the timing chain has stretched. they quoted me £1200 to fix this! which i find ridiculous! is this possible on a 2004 micra that has done so little mileage? i have had the cam sensor replaced with a brand new nissan sensor but the light doesnt seem to want to stay off. can you please advise me on what to do? i have no idea what to do about it, and dont really want to spend that amount of money to get it fixed.

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
I was gonna get a petrol K12 micra but i think i'll get a diesel K12 as they have cambelts and they are much easier to replace than timing chains. By the way i've just had the timing chain, gear idler and tensioners replaced in my K11 Micra and it cost me over £400 and i work at a nissan dealership!

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
carly WROTE:

"hi, my micra has done just over 15k and the engine management light has been on for over a year now. however the light seems to go off occasionally which i dont really understand. my engine sound completely normal to me. i took my car to the local nissan dealership and they told me that the timing chain has stretched. they quoted me £1200 to fix this! which i find ridiculous! is this possible on a 2004 micra that has done so little mileage? i have had the cam sensor replaced with a brand new nissan sensor but the light doesnt seem to want to stay off. can you please advise me on what to do? i have no idea what to do about it, and dont really want to spend that amount of money to get it fixed. <BR>

carly,

your micra must be out of manufacturers 3yr/60,000 miles nissan warranty by now. I suggest that you ask at other garages in your area about getting the chain replaced and get quotes from them. I'm pretty sure you'll get a cheaper quote elsewhere!

Back