Engine Malfunction Light On - No Code

Hi,

I have a November 2000 X Reg Micra 1.0 S. I think it has the coil pack engine as it has little boxes on the top of the spark plugs. About 1 month ago the engine malfunction light came on. A Garage checked it and said the code was unknown (I cant remember the code but it gave one) and just reset it saying bring it back if it happens again. Yesterday after about 1000 miles it came back on again. This time when the garage tried to read the code using different 2 systems both said there was no code stored but when they cleared the code the light went off!

Has anyone any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks,
Jim

Pattern emerging

Hi,

I have now noticed that after a while of driving fast (70+) the warning light goes on but after about 20 miles of then driving in town it goes out until I do a good stretch of driving on fast roads again. Has anyone seen this before? Can the warning light normally reset itself?

Thanks,
Jim

hi jim

i think you can only reset it by leaving the battery disconnected overnight or manually via the consult plug, so i would guess the malfunction light is malfunctioning o_O

Hi,

I have a November 2000 X Reg Micra 1.0 S. I think it has the coil pack engine as it has little boxes on the top of the spark plugs. About 1 month ago the engine malfunction light came on. A Garage checked it and said the code was unknown (I cant remember the code but it gave one) and just reset it saying bring it back if it happens again. Yesterday after about 1000 miles it came back on again. This time when the garage tried to read the code using different 2 systems both said there was no code stored but when they cleared the code the light went off!

Has anyone any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks,
Jim

Assuming you're talking about the orange emissions light on the far right of the dash, exactly the same thing happened to my girlfriends Micra Sept 2000 with coil packs. Light came on occasionally then more on fast runs ie. motorways and then constantly. Most garages had problems identifying the fault code so didnt charge anything. Did some research and decided it had to be the MAF sensor...it was.
Very common problem with these Bosch throttle bodies save yourself a fortune and buy a replacement sensor from http://www.injectioncorrection.co.uk/index.php?id=models&manufacturer=NISSAN.
I had fantastic service from these people, the price was £64, it totally solved the problem and took 5 mins to pull out the old sensor and refit new one. Car runs like a dream now.

Hi Stonker. thanks for the info. What you describe is exactly what is happening. It has been on for a couple of days now but I have been doing a lot of motorway driving. Interestingly with its appearance the MPG has gone a lot higher for whatever reason. I guess ii might have to get a new sensor. Thanks Jim

I would be 99% sure the MAF sensor is your problem, you're going to have to buy a set of 5 point tamper proof bits to undo the MAF sensor though. You can't buy them in Halfords etc, they only have 6 point bits, I think it's a dealer only tool. The only place you can get them is online. This is where I got mine and they are well worth buying, removes the tamper proof screws in seconds.

http://www.ttcuk.com/trident-t11160...nt-security-bits-14dr-tamper-proof-1090-p.asp

Back