Engine cutting out when driving

Hi, new to the forum, have come in the hope that someone might be able to help diagnose a problem with my Micra - its a 1ltr Automatic 1995 reg.

Had it for 6 months and it has been great, but on a long drive last night (on the mototway) the engine power startet cutting out intermittently for a second or two at a time. I could not hear the engine revving madly when this happened, it felt like someone was putting the breaks on quickly, then releasing. It happened on and off for the whole journey (3 hours). I noticed it was mainly happening at speeds of 50mph +.

I used to have a really old puegeot 205 that cut out in similar fashion when it was cold - prbably due to the cold air freezing the fuel mixture and failing to ignite (I think). I wasn't expecting this to happen with the Nissan though. Any ideas as I am planning on doing another long journey on friday?

Hi guys.

Problem has seemingly got worse. I tried to set off for the first time since the initial problem journey, and the clutch (automatic) would not engage the engine to the car at all.

The engine revved just fine, but when put into drive or reverse - nothing (apart from the revving engine).

Does this mean the clutch has failed or could this be electrical based on the original problem where it was doing this intermittently. I would have thought if it was the clutch then it would have failed outright first time?

I have been quoted £1000 for a new one ... :(

Okay, will do.

I did not gat any N-CVT light though. Also cannot see any reference or pointers on where to get replacement brushes? Suppose a Nissan dealership...

mine used to do this, and i later found out it was the timing belt, ive now had it replaced with a timing chain.. costy job! but car works fine now and hasnt cut out since. best off taking it to a garage, north east tyres near me check mine over for free. worth a try.

Back