Cutting out when wet...

CMF_Robnarc

» CMF Member
My wife's Micra (purple, 1996, extremely well loved) becomes very touchy when it's raining and cuts out whenever we try to use anything that adds an electrical load.

This includes everything I could think of to test: the windscreen wipers, fan, and even on one occasion the indicator when I was half way across a junction. Nice! The only things spared are the hazards.

Picture the scene: rain starts, wipers on, car dead... wipers off, start again, window steams up, fan... oops, no engine... start again, open window, steam better but no wipers so still can't see... stick head out of open window into driving rain, drive, blinking rapidly... starts to get dark, remember I won't be able to use lights... driving quicker, blinking quicker, swearing harder...

Not good.

When it happens the car instantly goes dead - no spluttering or warning, just nada - but starts up immediately if everything extra is turned off again.

We had the AA around but it wasn't raining any more so she behaved impecably, the minx.

Any thoughts from anyone?

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
Robnarc

had the same problem before.. turned out my battery fluid was running dry due to leaks.. had to switch to maintenance free battery and the prob disappeared..

but just to be sure follow sir fred's advice.. check the alternator and the belts too :)

one more thing, does it only have the electrical problems when raining? coz if it does, maybe there is an open wiring somewhere that gets wet and grounds your electronics..

aki

Back