Engine Cold Start strange noise. Any help please?

Hello Micra fans I hope you are all well. Since I have bought my Micra I always noticed some sort of rattling sound when the engine is running on idle. I have uploaded the video for you on youtube to hear also. Could this be the timing chain, the alternator or just normal? Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound like the usual timing chain noise. Sounds a little more terminal to be honest. That said I drove a car with failed big ends for over a year before I replaced the engine.

Look. Let's hope it's something cheap and easy to fix eh. I was just saying what it could be that's all. Mine sounded a lot worse that yours. Mine was like a hammer had been left inside the engine.

Last edited:
i would remove the cam cover and check that top chain david, post some pics of it if you want
Thanks and I will :). The problem is that I do not how to work on these things but I have a friend however who knows to work on cars. Does the car have two chains or one?

Look. Let's hope it's something cheap and easy to fix eh. I was just saying what it could be that's all. Mine sounded a lot worse that yours. Mine was like a hammer had been left inside the engine.

No problem mate. My mechanic thought its from the alternator but I knew the sound is not coming from there because it would more obvious. I also checked on youtube about these sounds and do sound like rougher than mine.

The trouble is that something as simple as a duff water pump or tensioner bearing can all cause strange noises which then resonate throughout the engine and get amplified by the cam cover and other empty spaces in the engine.

It was pretty bad and I tried to bodge it for as long as possible.... but by that stage, the chain was beyond repair.

God damn I miss that car.

I will see what i can do. Don't expect anything soon though since I am a bit pressed in my course recently. Tomorrow I intend to change the spark plugs and check the lambda sensor since I never checked those after I bought it.

I will see what i can do. Don't expect anything soon though since I am a bit pressed in my course recently. Tomorrow I intend to change the spark plugs and check the lambda sensor since I never checked those after I bought it.
Whipping the top chain cover and checking is a 30min job max. I'd do this before spending any effort / money on anything else!

Left engine mount off (3 bolts?), jack under the sump to lift the engine for better access.

Remove the 10 or so small bolts and pry the cover off.

Get some good snaps to upload here! If you remove the tensioner (2 more bolts) don't drop them down into the engine!

Remember to add some bathroom sealant on the cover when you re-assemble.

Back