Strange Noise Under Car

I've noticed over the last few days that there is a strange noise coming from my car. It sounds like metal jingling or scrapping. The noise is pretty consistent too. I've uploaded a video of the noise itself. Any ideas to what the cause could be and the cost to fix it ? Thanks guys

My car is a 1999 Reg K11 inspiration face lift. 63k Miles 998cc

Sounds to me like the exhaust fixing is loose or has come undone?...
causing the exhaust to vibrate against the frame instead of being held firm by it

if you lye down and look under the car at the exhaust can you see if the bolt/s has come off?...
or have corroded significantly?

ETA: obviously don't hold the exhaust...that bad boy gets hot lol :p

if you can be sure that the exhaust won't be hot (IE: engine is cold and has been for a while)
see if the exhaust is moving....or if by wiggling it you can re-create that sound ;)

ETA 2: if this was a K12 dci I'd tell you that it was probably the metal framwork some bright spark at Nissan decided to put in the engine bay to prevent the oil dip stick tube from getting damaged....as mine had a very similar rattle and we ended up taking out the frame thing as we'd welded it twice and it had simply sheered and rattled each time :rolleyes:

I've not been under the car yet. I got a brand new exhaust this time last year. I'll have a look under tomorrow. Some one else told me it might be the timing chain but im unsure. Exhaust seems most likely and easy fix. Thanks for your help.

I've not been under the car yet. I got a brand new exhaust this time last year. I'll have a look under tomorrow. Some one else told me it might be the timing chain but im unsure. Exhaust seems most likely and easy fix. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome I hope it's just a loose bolt ;)

...I think if the timing chain was making that noise you probably woud have more symptoms than just the noise :p
EG: lumpy idle, loss of power etc...

You should all be like me, three quarters deaf:p Had hearing aids fitted the other day - didn't realise the world was so bloody noisy !!
Can't hear the missus when I turn em down ;) and I definitely don't wear them when I' driving, I've got the quietest car on the forum - I think LOL.

Back