strange noise pls help

Dear All,

I am planning to buy a '97 Micra (March) imported from Japan, automatic, 09.

The car is in very good condition, the price is very good, I have trust in the seller (i know him), everything seems to be fine BUT

i heard the noise on auxiliary belt from the engine (like when an external belt is too tight or too loose and it produces a high, contiuous noise that comes and goes). We took the car to a garage and they spent 2 days finding out what was causing the noise.

the sound is produced only when there is pressure on the engine, like steerint the power wheel, putting on the ac, or putting it into reverse (automatic gearbox!)

It turned out that it has nothing to do with the belts, and they THINK it should be either the water pump or some part of the power steering. The power steering component would be 200 eurs to exchange according to them.

I am a bit worried about the followings:

- this is a 12 year old car (85,000 km) so things do worn out
- the price is good, the seller is ok

I am only worried about the fact that even after 2 days we still do not exectly know what the cause of the noise is. Do you have any ideas what the problem can be? Have you experienced the noise of a slipping belt that was NOT caused by a slipping belt?

thank you for your help and ideas.

Back