Engine Cleaning

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Had a look at my micra the other day when i was servicing it. I dont believe the engine it has ever been clean in the engine bay before. So whats the deal with cleaning one. Do i just spray the hose onto it or bucket and sponge and scrub one place at a time? Never dare to just in case i ****ed something up.

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
just go to a carwash and use the degreaser/engine cleaner on your engine let it soak for a couple of mins then just hose it off

cover electricals with plastic bags ie afm/fuse box

i would also get a towel and cover the plugs/dizzy just in case

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
yea make sure you cover everything. also POD filter etc too..
I did mine once and it wouldnt start.. the RAA couldnt get it started either.. was a tow job lol...
It came good about a day later haha

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
1, you don't use degreaser in engine bay, it damages/deteriorates rubber. that's mounts, hoses, seals, bushing, plug seals,leads etc....

2, personally i never use water jet guns at the car wash... last person washed it may have used wax/spot-dry or just faulty. wax/mix chemicals goes on rubber/plastic, motor warms up and it'll be baked on...looks bloody urgly and you wont get it off.

autoglym(uk) makes a specific engine bay cleaner thats non chemical based.

-go contact- for electrical and throttle body cleaner on tight areas...as they both clean/dissolve and evaporates leaving no residue.

CMF_RBLUV

» CMF Member
washed the skylines engine bay about 10 times for defects plus just normal washing over 5 years with degreaser NEVER had a hose go on me. anywhere you go to get it done "professionally" they will do exactly the same thing

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
RBLUV WROTE:

"washed the skylines engine bay about 10 times for defects plus just normal washing over 5 years with degreaser NEVER had a hose go on me. anywhere you go to get it done "professionally" they will do exactly the same thing

this is why retards ends up ends up at the mechanic 'oh i didnt know that, thought it be ok'
'professionally' hope you're not referring to them hand car wash joints... random mechanics can never be trusted and any good workshop will tell you different

Back