Cleaning Engine Bay

CMF_1st Car Micra

» CMF Member
Hey guys i'm not sure what parts of the micra are sensitive to water as i would like to clean the engine bay but dont know what parts to hide/cover. Can any1 use a picture of my engine bay and highlight in red for me what i need to cover before i can start to spray the damn thing down... its in dire need of a clean.
Any help appreciated

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
I clean mine all the time, go down to repco/autobarn/supercheap and pick up some CT18 Truck wash.

I use a pump pressure pack, mix it up, spray the engine bay, wait a few minutes then spray down with a low pressure hose.

I usually stuff a rag into the air intake to protect it.

Start the car straight after to make sure all is good :)

P.S - Don't use CT18 truckwash on the outside of your car or let it sit to long, it is aggressive!

CMF_1st Car Micra

» CMF Member
Thanks, i was just gonna use normal degreaser but i'll look around for the truck wash. However is there anything else i should cover before i clean the engine bay besides the intake.. such as electrical components? If there is can you tell me where they are located lol cheers

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
I forgot to add the degreaser part, you can use normal spray can degreaser, but I buy the big 4L containers, put that in the spray pack then spray the whole engine bay.

The hit it with the truck wash, then rinse out with water.

You'll have to use a rag to get some of the stubborn dirt loose, but for the most part, degreaser/truckwash will do the rest :)

CMF_1st Car Micra

» CMF Member
Thanks guys on what i need to clean the engine bay but i'm still confused as to what parts to cover when i do the cleaning!
Anything else besides the air intake? what about other electrical stuff lol
Cheers

CMF_Dala

» CMF Member
Dizzy would be the main thing that will stop you car from starting when wet, red circle, i normally cover it in a plastic bag and still avoid spraying the area, also don't let much water get down the pluglead holes, red oval.

Any electrical connections are going to be possible issues if you drench them, blue circles, avoid directly spraying any that you see.
Yellow circle is the air intake, it's mostly uphill from there so should be fine unless you spray high pressure straight up it.

There's ther things but i ca't really circle everything, leads to your throttle body, injectors, ect ect should all be not subjected to high pressure.

You really are opening up alot of potential problems by spraying the motor with high pressure, electrical issues caused could be intermittent and hard to track. At most i would use a gardern hose or spray bottle to move degreaser, but honestly lots of rags and elbow grease, some degreaser and then some sort of shiny spray are safer options.

Attachments

• 49379.jpg
    49379.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47

CMF_1st Car Micra

» CMF Member
Thanks a bunch Dala! i was looking for someone to do this exact thing for me :D. Thanks to everyone on the tips aswell. I've give it a shot tomorrow and might post up a finished pic if it's any good :p

Back