Cleaning engine components.

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
What is the procedure, do i clean them add a little oil too the bearing shells and refit or is there more too it?
Whats would be good too clean the pistons / combustion chambers?
Inside the sump?

Just trying too make this engine as new.

Just the man. so if i was too "Bathe" The / head in a box full of washing powdery water would that be an ok thing too do lol?

hot soapy water should be ok to degrease it , like frank said washing powder is a good degreaser just make sure you oil the valve's and springs etc afterwards to prevent them rusting.

. or you could take it to a garage and ask them to clean it in the parts washer (for a small fee). personally i would use petrol and a tooth brush

i used persil bio with boiling water and scrub the gunk off but be careful with the stuff near polished bearing surfaces like cylinder walls and crank bearing faces cos it kinda etched mine, and use a plastic tub not a rusty metal tub which could be what caused the etching problem on mine.
non-bearing surfaces tis fine and melts the gunk off easy.
rinse off. then i wipe/scrub the harder baked gunk off with carb cleaner.
pistons i scrub lightly with scotchpad n wd40/carb cleaner.

reoil bearing surfaces with engine oil.

i usually use brake cleaner for cleaning....... have brought a sump back from black to silver in half a can! and subsequently found 14 cracks in it (it was off my mates lowered mk4 golf..)

Back