Engine cleaning job :)

hey guys i started the huge task of making my engine shine like brand new today and i even took some before and after pics for you i did start half the work before i thought oh buger take some pics for before and after managed to get one of the Nissan name on the engine so you can see just how much crap was on it lmao :p

this is the dirty engine
15082011355.jpg

this is the dirty nissan
15082011353.jpg

This is the cleaner engine
15082011358.jpg

and this is the sparkling nissan :p
15082011360.jpg

im not done just yet but thought id show u my progress so far :p

Just cover up anything electrical with a plastic bag, clean up all the bad bits with some TFR, then hose it down. Will bring it up like it's just come out of the factory, that's what I did with mine, and done the same to my BMW (Y)

well i tried using the cleaning fluids and they just didnt do the job so got me a wire brush modified to the ends of my drill and went crazy XD was fun haha

now this may sounds silly but i allways see on films like fast and furious some cool looking purple or blue or red shiny pipes under the bonnett now i only got a box standard micra and my insurance is already high enough so dont want any like racing loud noise making mods but i want the engine to look like it goes crazy fast but dosent now how do i do that :) :p

Just buy yourself a full set of silicone hoses (for everything from the radiator to the fuel pipes), spray your rocker cover (normally people tend to go for red or blue, but can be any colour as long as the paint is HT), NGK HT leads (any colour you want normally), Nismo oil and radiator cap, and a stainless steel battery cover (Y)

sounds like a easy to do job can u break down the abreviations im crap with them im guessing the ht paint is the heat paint tht dosent come off when summat gets hot and not to sounds stupid but what is NGK HT leads and whats a rocker cover haha :p (im still yet to purchase my haynes manual lol)

HT - high temperature paint (withstands about 1000oC)
NGK - brand name :laugh:
Rocker cover - the bit that says "Nissan" on it, basically the engine cover that covers up the cams, etc
HT leads - basically spark plug leads

Most of it is fairly easy to do, you just have to make sure the engine is cool before you do it, and I think some of the liquids might have to be drained to prevent any leaks

ahhhh i see well ive just cleaned that rocker cover haha so its ready for paint coz its been throughly roughed up and by liquids do you mean oil fuel and that sort of stuff if so thats fine because i plan on doing a full oil change on this bad girl soon :p also ive got a year of it being off road so it can even just be non drivable for abit too so would u recomend that i take the rocker cover off after draining the oil and other such fluids out the car and then preping it for paint bit of a under coat and then spray it like shiny i really want my engine to stay silver so if i sprayed it like a shiny chrome coloured silver and then have al the leads and stuff red because my cars red :p that would look alright wouldnt it :p

Yeah, that's what I mean by draining all the liquids - fuel, oil, coolant, whatever. I never did my hoses, so am unsure of what needs draining and what doesn't. Better off asking someone who has done theirs (Y). And the cover would only be shiny if you use high temperature laquer, normally it comes out matte, like mine. But it is easier to do off the car, I had to do mine in situ as it was pretty much siezed on. Just make sure you have a new gasket for when it goes back on, and then run it up to temperature to cure the paint. But yeah, that should look ok (Y)

hmmmm well i am quite lazy and taking off the top of the engine block fitting new #### and blaa blaa sounds too much like id have to do lots XD lmfao i might just diconnect everything drain everything make my car dry as a turn in the sun spray it all chnage everything then put new oil new coolant new fuel XD lol and then start her up and watch her pure XD lol where can i get the new leads and also how do i go about changing my air filter i dont like the big stupid black air box i want a nice shiny chrome air filter XD :p

Just pull the airbox off, really easy to remove :grinning:. New leads and hoses can normally be found on eBay, or do a quick search on Google - you'll have loads to choose from

hey dan ur breaking ur k11 turtle ent ya? does that mean u have rear speakers? and that tasty air filter and other sexy stuff :p if u still got any of that stuff let me know as when i get paid im looking for some sexy stuff and i like all your stuff haha :p

Yes, I am breaking my Micra, but I'm afraid the parcel shelf with speakers and the full induction kit are already sold pending postage and payment. Almost everything else is sold as well, apart from:

- Decat pipe
- Sub/amp boot install
- Sony head unit
- Door speakers

I can sell you the rocker cover, if you'd like? Save you going to all that effort of a respray?

hmmmmm well i wud but im thinking of turning my rocker into a chrome lookin one wif abit of paint and lacor but im very intrested in the door speakers and maybe the head unit what head unit you get and here i go again with the stupid questions but wot is a decat pipe lmao :p sorry i will learn eventually XD

You have PM (Y)

Basically, a decat pipe means you can remove the second catalytic converter which is under the car (the first one is built into the manifold), meaning you get a bit more power as the gases are escaping quicker. Would also make your car a bit louder too :grinning:. And I have a Sony headunit which is pretty much brand new - USB and AUX port as well, it's mint (Y)

hmmm autosol ill have a look at that does it corode stuff like rubber and plastics just so i know what to cover up ?

right i may of had a slight change but i want everyones thoughts on what im thinking before i do it XD

i was thinking of taking my top engine block off the rocker as its called and spraying that meatlic silver with high temp paint and then coating it with a high temp lacquer and then painting the letters like nissan and the other ones black with a glittery effect also high temp what do you think??? gimme your thoughts :p

hmmm autosol ill have a look at that does it corode stuff like rubber and plastics just so i know what to cover up ?

no it wont damage anything like that bud its like tooth paste lol. use something like a tooth brush to scrub the paste into the metal make sure you rub it in good then leave for ten minutes and use a damp rag to wipe off then a dry rag to get rid of any little bits. it really does work that stuff my mate recommended it to me. he buys bikes and refurbishes them and sells them. i used that autosol stuff on my gtir engines that had been stood in the garage for years and jesus did it work it gave the ally a right shine (Y). just dont get it from halfords cause its expensive there lol. try a local motor factors.

right i may of had a slight change but i want everyones thoughts on what im thinking before i do it XD

i was thinking of taking my top engine block off the rocker as its called and spraying that meatlic silver with high temp paint and then coating it with a high temp lacquer and then painting the letters like nissan and the other ones black with a glittery effect also high temp what do you think??? gimme your thoughts :p

also if your painting it use the autosol then wash off then use paint thinners to get rid of everything chemical/dirt then use heat resistant paint or it will just peel, blister, crack.

ive gone and changed my plans again haha ! :p my car is red and ive been looking on the forum and ive seen that someone as used a weird but really cool dark red thats shiny and its really nice i was thinking of a dark shiny red lots of lacquer obv and then having the silver lettering instead as itll go well if the red leads and other red stuff and the lettering will look amazing alongside the chrome plugs and other stuff :p or i cud do blakc lettering with the red shiny cover hmmmmm oh gawd dicisions!

hey guys ive been looking at pictures online and i would like help from anyone that can provide it i need some VHT glittery silver VHT dark red and VHT clear lacquer but i cant find it anywhere ive tried looking on halfrauds but they sell crap bright red and no thanks haha i basically want my rocker cover to look like the one below but obv with either black or silver writing so it stands out more does anyone know where i can get this vht paint from??

img0108sr.jpg

this pic is from another forum member who did there rocker cover a nice shiny red too :p

Have you tried Euro Car Parts? We got Moto Serv down my end, but they're fairly similar, and they do sell the stuff you need, from what I've seen. Which means Euro Car Parts should too, as they're a much bigger company

sorry for the multi posts one after each other but i also would like to clean my spark plug covers shoud I buy some rubber protector will that make them nice and clean and black? or shoud i buy some new ones to get the just out of the show room look :p

Silicone spray will do the job mate. Clean them up first, then spray on the silicone, leave it for about 5 minutes, then wipe off. It'll bring them up like new. No need to buy new ones unless you absolutely have to

hey guys ive been looking at pictures online and i would like help from anyone that can provide it i need some VHT glittery silver VHT dark red and VHT clear lacquer but i cant find it anywhere ive tried looking on halfrauds but they sell crap bright red and no thanks haha i basically want my rocker cover to look like the one below but obv with either black or silver writing so it stands out more does anyone know where i can get this vht paint from??
i doubt if you will get any vht lacquer, and i,ve neer bothered with vht paint on mine (just bog standard stuff)

hmmm well i know it does get rather hot as ive burnt myself on it before what paint would u recomend if not vht as i want a shiny finish :p

Me personally? I wouldn't waste my time, money or effort

The only colour in my sisters super s(my old car) was my pink injectors and the red sealant I used on the throttle body when I re soldered it

Mate looks like the one in the picture is spayed professionally and probably done with 2k paint, by far the best way to achieve this sort of result, we have done skyline and supra rocker covers with 2k paint and they hold up perfectly, no discolouration or anything. Oh and doing it this way the sky is the limit with colours.

so by 2k paint do u mean with a propa spray gun? im hoping to use just some spray paint and some lacquer and when it sets abit of polish :p

Yes From a gun and then baked on, I would go to a scrap yard, Learn on that car how to get the cover off (not such a problem if something breaks although not great lol) Buy that cover, Very cheap normally. Clean that up, take it along to a local spray shop and get them to spray it the colour of your choice, Get a new gasket from a Car accessories shop or Nissan again not to expensive, Carefully fit the painted cam cover to your engine, If you do it right once thats all you will do, make a mess of it and you will be doing it over and over again + it will look the Dogs if done right. We also use button head Stainless steel bolts to put ours on, look nice and stay looking nice, Available from any good fastener outlet.

well i quite like your idea i must say and i plan on taking alomost every bolt and fixture off and sanding it and coating it in a new paint of some sorts and making my engine look preety much new also takin the big stupid lookin airbox off :p get myself a smaller one :p

EDIT:
i had a look at the guy who did that piccy i put up there and he did it wit simple spray paint but he used anodised vht paint does anyone know who sells this?

Halfords do that Enamel VHT paint mate and actually it is pretty good quality, you might need to use the adhesion promoter to help it stay on, don't be tempted by the chrome effect tho as although it looks great it will not stay that way as you cant polish it or touch it much after without it looking poop. Still can't beat 2k tho imo :grinning:

I guess you mean't get rid of the airbox and fit an induction kit cause otherwise as Karlj said fitting a smaller airbox will lose you performance.

Back