Micra smoke after head change

AH.K10

K10/K11
I have changed the head on my 1.0 micra running on bike carbs for the better 1.2 head but i am using a 1.0 reprofiled camshaft with all 1.0 parts. Now its running rough and there is lots of white smoke from the exhaust. The head had new valves i assumed are fitted and ground in correcty and all new gaskets have been used.

Am i correct in thinking that the smoke is engine coolant burning off? I, like a fool, didn't check the head for warping! Is there any other possiable cause for this smoke and bad running?

Thanks for any replies.

could be burning off but if its running rough i would say somethings up. is it timed up correctly? it could be a warped or cracked head but it may be something simple.

Ill check timing tomorrow and just check over everything. Its like it running on 3 untill the reves pick up then on all 4. If everything is ok its head off again then! new head gasket on the way anyway so that will be checked and replaced even if ok.

Do i have to strip the head to get it skimmed? and how far? all valves out and cam and rocker assembly? or will they do it as is? just incase i need too.

White smoke sounds a lot like steam???
You should have skimmed the head before you re-fitted it anyway. These heads do warp a little but they don't crack.
What make of gasket set did you use?
Misfire is probably a badly seating valve - common issue
You only need remove the rocker gear and cam for a head skim - but I suspect you have a valve problem anyway (probably no 4 exhaust - it always is!)
Is this the cam you bought from me?
Did you do the geometry mods I told you to do - skim the top of the head to lower the rocker gear?
I fear you have bought a cam and hoped the rest would take care of itself.:(

Hi there Bob ma boy!
Yes you can put a 1200 head on the one litre. Physically the same size. No issues with gasket sealing.
You use the MA10 gasket (wonder if he did?)
Happy new year to you all down there on the fens! See you in the new year - with the Vauxhall, LOL(Y)

Yeh this is the cam i got from you. I had no idea i needed to skim the top of the head! makes sence now i think about it... how much needs to come off?

I did use the ma10 head gasket but not sure on make.

So i got to strip at all down, skim the head top and bottom then check/grind in valves.

anything else i need to do?? dont wanna miss anything again.

Compression test won't show up really Frank. A leakage test would if he's got the facility. Bottom line is though there's a problem so he may as well start again'

Head off and fully strip
Skim flat
Machine 1mm off top face of head
When re-fitting rocker assembly use an additional washer under each of the clamping down bolts (or you run risk of bolts going through onto cam journals)
Get valves reground and seats lapped in. Ask (insist) your engine shop do a leakage test on each valve.
You are right to use an MA10 gasket.
When I fit a Micra head I torque to 50Nm, leave for 10 minutes then torque to 65Nm and it's never failed me yet.
When you fir your cambelt you'll be 1/2 tooth out of marks. Turn cam anti-clockwise - looking from the front - and fit the belt.

A 1 litre with a performance cam and bike carbs is going to be very "cammy". You would do well to slot the holes in the cam pulley and get the rolling road man to try various positions for best driveability. BTW, fit a rev limiter and set it for 7200 revs/min. If you don't you'll be bending those valves in no time!

Compression test won't show up really Frank. A leakage test would if he's got the facility. Bottom line is though there's a problem so he may as well start again'

Head off and fully strip
Skim flat
Machine 1mm off top face of head
When re-fitting rocker assembly use an additional washer under each of the clamping down bolts (or you run risk of bolts going through onto cam journals)
Get valves reground and seats lapped in. Ask (insist) your engine shop do a leakage test on each valve.
You are right to use an MA10 gasket.
When I fit a Micra head I torque to 50Nm, leave for 10 minutes then torque to 65Nm and it's never failed me yet.
When you fir your cambelt you'll be 1/2 tooth out of marks. Turn cam anti-clockwise - looking from the front - and fit the belt.

A 1 litre with a performance cam and bike carbs is going to be very "cammy". You would do well to slot the holes in the cam pulley and get the rolling road man to try various positions for best driveability. BTW, fit a rev limiter and set it for 7200 revs/min. If you don't you'll be bending those valves in no time!

hahah, got one of your stage 4 (I think) heads on a 1litre block with lightended flywheel. Its very cammy as you say, power from 4000rpm to about 8000rpm :D

Shame ive sold it as ive got a 4 branch exhaust manifold to modify to fit, and then it would go off to get the carbs set up properly (runs way too rich)

Ok i got the head skimmed and correctly back together and its still burning coolant! I have no idea on what to do next except get the block skimmed and reassemble the complete engine out of the car so its all clean and correct? getting a bit agrovated at this!

Any thoughts anyone?

its not ingesting coolant where the waterheated jacket from the removed stock inlet mani joins the head is it ?

Its a Bogg brothers mani where they have used the stock flange and welded up the ports for the coolant so i dont think so.

oh and also this time there is water in the oil too! just remembered i noticed it when i took rocker cover off and there was white stuff inthere after less than 5 mins of running??

Most likely head gasket area then.
The tops of the blocks are poor and usually distort. What happens is that the aluminium tends to sink leaving the cast iron liners protruding a little.
On a full rebuild I always skim the top of the blocks and they usually need 5 to 10 thou off to make good.
It is very unlikely the head is cracked - I have never seen a cracked K10 head.

how much am i looking for the parts on a bottom end rebuild? I may as well get a 1.2 bottom end and rebuild that now and chuck it in. Any one got a 1.2 for sale near cambridgshire?

Back