Micra 1.5 dci white/ bluish smoke-Suspecting Turbo??

Hello Guys, New to this forum and hope to find help and share my experiences. Bought a Micra diesel 82 bhp with suspected fault (That's my guess) of blown turbo. I have also check signs for head gasket failure like under the oil filler cap, mix of oil in antifree container etc, All seemed to be fine initially.As soon as I start the car smokes bluish/whitish smoke and is constant. It is even more when I rev up the engine. As i had similar car in another country I went ahead and bought it. New in Bolton so don't know any mechanics etc and I have access to few tools for this week. People want the car gone in by week or so. CAr is at 90k, keyless and overall in good condition with valid MoT. I am on tight budget and need to sort it out as I don't where I could take it after a week. Thinking to take off the turbo and buy one from Ebay like for 80 pounds (would that be ar ight choice compared to a old one?? How much it costs to get injectors tested in the UK or around Bolton. Today I have time to go and fiddle with car, SO quick replies with direction into where to start will be off great help.

Last edited:
best to check the turbo for play first sam, this one of mine was shagged but still did,nt smoke

Yes, I will try to have a look at it. DID you replace your turbo with brand new or with an old one from scrappers. Is it ok to buy one off ebay Chinese one? Says 2 years warranty. Thanks

frank

Club Member
all my turbo,s were from scrapyards £50 ish, i buy loads of pistons and cylinders from china and have occasional piston ring problems, never bought a chinese turbo tho

well today I managed to use the garage at workplace and took off the turbo. My looks of it at the shaft and turbines it looks ok bu a mechanica there still pointed towards turbo coz of the smoke. Now I have another prob in addition. After I let it idle for like 20 minutes I saw the antifreeze level in the spare tank got high like 4-5 cms. I noticed it after I had taken EGR off so could start the car to find more. So des this point towards the head gasket. Had loads of air pressure builtup even after 2 hours of switching off the engine and also the antifreze overflowed on opening the cap antefreeze tank even when it was cold. Any thoughts on sourcing a chinese turbo off ebay, a old scrapers one or rebuild.......Thanks

frank

Club Member
if the shaft is ok it wont be the turbo then sam, and if the coolant has,nt gone down it wont be the head gasket (the expansion bottle will go up and down, when hot and cold)

hahahahah good one. you asked frank if he bought new good one gave me a nice laugh
hahahahah good one. you asked frank if he bought new good one gave me a nice laugh
I am glad that I made someone smile. But as I am trying to help myself due to affordability issue as I can’t afford a garage repair or new car, There are no smiles for me as the people want the car gone ASAP.
Thanks for your input though!!

if the shaft is ok it wont be the turbo then sam, and if the coolant has,nt gone down it wont be the head gasket (the expansion bottle will go up and down, when hot and cold)
Thanks for ur reply. The shaft seems to be with little play but that has happened to me before back 7-8 years ago on j70 2.4 diesel where it was smoking similarly but with no play in shaft but on swapping turbo solved the problem. The expansion tank level didn’t go out for like 2-3 hours of me being there. It was on minimum and after idling for 20-30 minutes it was above max and after 2-3 hours even when I tried opening the cap it was pressurised and antifreeze overflowed on opening. Is this for sure head gasket. Any directions please.....