ECU K11 1996

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Hey guys

Im pretty sure my ECU is unhappy :( not sure what the cause of the problem was but it seems to be at fault.

Does anyone have a 1.3 K11 1996 preface ECU with Key?

Since Im thinking about turboing, would it be better just to get one from Ed with a normal map on it (for now)

Well I was hoping there was someone here who was breaking a micra that I have the ECU, NATS module, key and transponder

I did some more digging around and it seems like i wont be able to bypass NATS. Best thing is to get an ECU without NATS and modify the wiring to fit. Looking at the diagrams most of the wires are the same.

I saw a non NATS micra at scrappy but i suspect it was a 1.0. Can i use it on my 1.3?

Just to add, the cars actually working perfectly, but the radiator fan is constantly ON! I have MOT due soon, thats not a failure is it?

I doubt its an ecu problem personally ?
And micra_pete posted about them yonks ago iirc, checkout his posts :)

Shall do frank :)

Ive checked all else, sussed it down to the ECU which connects directly to the Fan relay. Its sending out an irregular ground when the car is on, and a really low 0.5v or so voltage when off. Not compared with another micra yet.

Checked the coolant sensor and its functioning as normal (checking the resistance and swapped over 3!, three different tbs!) any other suggestions?

Also spoke to Ed who said the signal for radiator fan is from ECU (which I had checked and is correct) so kinda stuck on ideas

and is the ecu flagging a code 55 ?

Precisely, Odd huh? and car runs absolutely spot on (besides the fan). But dont forget last week it wasnt working, getting those random cut outs and engine lights, had code 11, then had 143 and now 55.

and what does the fan do if you remove the c/t/s connector ?, and if you bridge the 2 wires ?

Which connector are you refering to frank? (sorry i keep forgetting the abbreviations *noob :(* ) and bridge which wires? I can go try it now and report back

coolant temp sensor :) and bridge the wires on its plug

Yep i did try that actually, fan stays on.

The only thing i noticed is that if its been off a while and cold, when i turn it on the fan doesnt come on straight away, but then does every time after

the japspec cars had a different c/t/s iirc, 1 is blue and 1 is red iirc, and the wrong one fitted goes wierd

That tricks the ECU to think its overheating right?

What i didnt do was to check the power output from the ECU to the relay to see if it changes from that fluctuating 3v - 13v to a constant 13v?

the japspec cars had a different c/t/s iirc, 1 is blue and 1 is red iirc, and the wrong one fitted goes wierd

My car is UK spec, and i got sensors off UK spec. Also i plugged in a c/t/s outside the car and did a resistant test on the one in the block and it was showing correct resistance against coolant temperature. It started doing the fan thing before i did any changes

the fsm says the fan is controlled by the c/t/s, speed sensor and aircon signals eh, and the t/p/s and maf are 0 to 5v iirc (so 3v may be legit)

the fsm says the fan is controlled by the c/t/s, speed sensor and aircon signals eh, and the t/p/s and maf are 0 to 5v iirc (so 3v may be legit)

But wouldn't the voltage to the relay be constant?

I don't have aircon ;) so can't be that.

Tps and MAf have been changed (tb change)

How to approach the speed sensor?

Yep i did try that actually, fan stays on.

The only thing i noticed is that if its been off a while and cold, when i turn it on the fan doesnt come on straight away, but then does every time after
it also says, that if the c/t/s circuit has failed, it switches the fan on after 6 minutes of ign on/engine start

But wouldn't the voltage to the relay be constant?

I don't have aircon ;) so can't be that.

Tps and MAf have been changed (tb change)

How to approach the speed sensor?
a pinout may be bent or wire touching/shorting ? (a vacant aircon one) and the speed sensor is in the dash/cluster eh

it also says, that if the c/t/s circuit has failed, it switches the fan on after 6 minutes of ign on/engine start

It wasn't quite 6 minutes more like 30 seconds. Then after its straight away.

I did see the wire diagram for ecu today and saw AC. worth looking at

Is the speed sensor the two screws where the speed cable connects (either side)

It wasn't quite 6 minutes more like 30 seconds. Then after its straight away.

I did see the wire diagram for ecu today and saw AC. worth looking at

Is the speed sensor the two screws where the speed cable connects (either side)
2 screws that connect the ribbon pcb eh (but i run mine with 1 screw removed all the time eh)

have you had the ecu plug off ? my blue car had a dodgy connection, and the car would,nt run unless it was cocked askew slightly (bent pinouts i guess)

I had never had it out before. But I did take it out few days ago, connection only. Can't get the ECU put screws are too tight :/

2 screws that connect the ribbon pcb eh (but i run mine with 1 screw removed all the time eh)

I tried it without the speed sensor and same thing still :/

I got my self a sexy 1.0 ECU pre NATS, kept the engine component wiring from the ECU just in case mine were causing the problem. Just have to figure out the wiring now,

I think Ive got the diagram for this ECU but i need one for the one in the car, and i have a suspecious feeling it has a NCVT module in it even though its never been auto :/

E3D500E3-363A-44F8-A509-2B0EEAB4C8CE-2917-00000445AB7C4886_zpsebc6a21b.jpg

Stealing a thread, but i could do with a spare ECU for the rally spares kit. Ideally a 1.0 but 1.3 will be fine for a pre nats K11

Success!

Wired up the non NATS 1.0 ecu and it's all working as should be. No stupid fan!

Would it be worth writing up what wires I swapped for NATS to non NATS? Anyone interested?

What is the wires that need changing for that non ECU replacement please I have one now desperate to get back to normailty with my little car.

Back