Ecotek experiment

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Ok a lot of people don't think these work. I got one very cheaply so am going to find out if they can improve economy. My car is running rich and the timing is advanced 5 degrees. This valve appears to let in more air under hard acceleration to allow the mixture to burn more effectively. I have a standard airbox. I will get back to you in a month to tell you whether I noticed an increase in fuel economy/ performance.

For now here is a pic of the inside:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/ollyc98/ecotek.jpg
Images must be no larger than 800x600

It's running rich cos I made it that way with the mixture screw. I bought this to find out if it works.

olly why ritchen the mixture and then buy something aftermarket to alter it back? wouldent it be easier to just set it up right?

The only reason I put in the bit about the mixture is so people know how my car is running. That way if I do get improvements people know what they need to do to theirs.

olly

i think the mixture screw only affects the mixture at idle and the jet sizes affects the mixture at throttle openings, but you do what you want to do, its your car !

Oh right, that makes a lot of sense, with it running a bit rich it starts easier in the mornings. The advanced timing gives the car a more sporty feel. I'm hoping the valve will give improve the top end.

A lot of people are making the mistake of thinking this will increase performance. This isn't why I bought it, it increases fuel economy, or may anyway. With rising fuel prices I was trying to find a way to save everyone some money.

A lot of people are making the mistake of thinking this will increase performance. This isn't why I bought it, it increases fuel economy, or may anyway. With rising fuel prices I was trying to find a way to save everyone some money.

Well, don't run rich for a start! Adjust your mixture/timing!

but we have all been here/done that etc.. These are old now and have been about for over 10 years. They are uttely usless on a closed loop car and no better on an old carb'ed car.

If you really want to save fuel just dont press the throttle as hard.

DONT DRIVE! Lol....saves alot of money then!

But yeah i can understand why your doing this! I save fuel by driving sensibly and not "flooring it" so much!

When it comes down to it, if these things worked the manufactuars would put them in!
I find it hard to believe that after over 100years (i think) of the carburettor, someone comes along and says, "WOW! I've made this revolutionairy valve that no one ever thought of" Yeah right!

Perhaps it would have been sensible of you to have learnt from that fact that many of us have seen this many times before. The comments above are not negative for no reason. It was an attempt to stop you wasting your time and money on something you do not need. You should listen sometimes, there is allot you could learn rather than to be so stubborn at such a young age!!

Has anyone actually tried one of these themselves? Or are you just saying it won't work. Cos I have an extra 4-5 MPG that wasn't there before, I want to test it a bit longer to check but it seems that's what I'm getting. The reason car manufacturers don't add them is because they probably shorten engine life.

I believe lots of new green cars have similar things installed, and to add, new green cars certainly have them magnets on the fuel line to in increase fuel economy.

I believe lots of new green cars have similar things installed, and to add, new green cars certainly have them magnets on the fuel line to in increase fuel economy.

Mercedes race engines have a similar system to the ecotek valve, I've just been reading up on it. They use it to increase throttle response.

olly buddy i understand your frustration buddy ,if thats what you get then mint, i think we all should stop being so awkwad as he is just saying what he doing for his own reasons so pack in the judging and just wait to hear what he has to say!i wouldnt think it could damage your engine if it does could some of the tech guys show us how and stop judging?i think...there is sufficant evidence that what olly is doing does work,and i think i will do it my self if it works in the long run mate and dosent break ya engin in anyway.i think if a peg does the same thing then i might do that?lol why dont you try that olly aswell lol

I will buy a peg next week lol.

Here's off the merc website:
Tumble Flaps Improve Fuel Efficiency
The new-generation engine is also equipped with tumble flaps in the intake passages near the combustion chamber. The tumble flaps open under part load, improving combustion by creating additional turbulence around the intake valves and in each combustion chamber. During higher engine loads such as full throttle, the tumble flaps are completely recessed in the wall of the intake manifold. Better combustion helps improve engine torque, but the primary purpose of the tumble flaps is to further increase fuel economy, and tests show that the tumble flaps indeed boost fuel mileage by about two percent.

Chances are I will be removing this next week for 2 reasons. Firstly the noise is annoying and secondly the micra has good enough economy and my dads shogun only gets 8MPG so he needs the help lol.

Olly thats not even remotely similar to the way that ecotek valve works.

How isn't it? Creating turbulence in the intake manifold and collapsing the vacuum. Similar but not the same.

You have still not even read the patent, you would see that it mentions in one paragraph that it might cause intake turbulence, no mention that it will, or that even any gains may happen.
The Merc design mentions nothing about vacuum, it says it causes more turbulence where the combustion chambers are, which is where it needs to be not half way up the break servo pipe.

The only thing I can see that says similar is the word turbulence!

lol. Olly i respect your for doing us a favour and trying it out, and if you did get increased MPG then cool, but if it makes that bad a noise its not worth it. Besides, it may have severe long term effects that you won't see till its too late. I don't know but i'm guessing thats why manfucaturers don't use these amazing wonders of nothing mate.

However, i may give the magnet thing a shot, seeing as it is apparently being used by manufacturers, to see what happens!

I don't know why i should bother though as my CBR600 carbs will destroy what MPG i gain lol.

If its done right and you drive within normal speeds, efficiency of the engine will improve, not get worse.

oh awesome! i assumed that seeing as they were bigger they'd use more MPG, i'm pretty sure its the usual way for modding, more power, less MPG. In this case, it's nice to know that Ed.

Out of interest (sorry to hijack ollie) can anyone give me a guide on tuning carbs? well setting them up right more than anything, so their safe to drive around on till i have enough money to have them setup on a rollign road?

Look on amazon for a book. That will provide 10000x more info than youll get from here.

the mazda 626 GT v6 had simalar Flaps in the inlet manifold over 15 years ago. they were called VRIS flaps and are designed to increase turbulence at the throat on the combustion chamber, if fact if you have anyone near you with an mx-6 ask them to give you a ride, and boot it.... you can hear them laying down and feel the increase in power at 6400RPM...where maximum power kicks in. sounds like a V-tec.......

Back