ECC ignition idea

superls

K10 Tuner
Hi all, I’ve recently had an idea, well here it is,

I have 99% of an ECC wiring loom and ecc unit etc, basically the whole electronics behind a k10 super s. but my question is,

Is there any advantage in fitting the ignition side of things, i.e. dizzy, coil, ecc unit, etc, I’m talking about just the ignition side of things, to enable me to have ‘’mappable’’ ignition.

Just wondered what the K10 gods thought of this idea, (ed)

As most of you know I have lightened flywheel, 4-2-1 manifold and cbr600 bike carbs.

Surely its a good idea, Ed was talking to me about putting mine onto an ecu system, it would make it alot more tuneable?!?

No its an ignition only ECU.

I do however have a March Turbo inlet manifold which is inj. If I still had a normal K10 i could fuel inject it (that would be cool) but I dont :)

I think you would be looking at around £5-600 fitted ish...

£1000+ It always amazes me how people react to prices like these when in reality its such good value for money. EVERYTHING about how well an engine works boils down to how well you can control it. By comparison carbs/points etc are so so so horrid, and simply old.

£1000+ It always amazes me how people react to prices like these when in reality its such good value for money. EVERYTHING about how well an engine works boils down to how well you can control it. By comparison carbs/points etc are so so so horrid, and simply old.

Cough splutter!! (for an ECU and programming software only?)
I think I am in the wrong busuness.....I wonder how many of these systems are sold per month worldwide?

....its such good value for money.

I agree, the 'application' is valuble...I'm just drooling at the potential margins that must be cumulatively pocketed along the supply chain.

Your joking right?

Although I think your view is probably typical of anyone used to working with carbs, and perhaps fails to see what good EFI can offer. (Although granted its pretty pointless on a car producing 50-80bhp/litre)

EFI really is the best thing since sliced bread for engines. Once you have that control you can operate it under conditions that carbs could only dream of.

Not that surprised on prices but not overly serious about this engine, will probably go for the cheaper alternative of servicing the old item. Does need it! lol

I know you think I'm not qualified to have an opinion on any of this but the one problem i can see with fuel injection is it's complicated. Give me a carb any day for the simplicity. Less to go wrong, and ALMOST as tuneable if you know what you are doing.

olly

i agree (Y) , using my lambda voltage as a guide, my lpg a/f mixture is almost bang on in all conditions (with the ga1.6 t/b, custom nozzle and almera airbox, and adjusting knob on the dash), its taken me months of tinkering to get rid of lean spots and being over rich while cruising, but its been educational :p

Your joking right?

Although I think your view is probably typical of anyone used to working with carbs, and perhaps fails to see what good EFI can offer. (Although granted its pretty pointless on a car producing 50-80bhp/litre)

EFI really is the best thing since sliced bread for engines. Once you have that control you can operate it under conditions that carbs could only dream of.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to carbs, aged ignitions V's electronic fuel injection at all (we might have our wires crossed..)

I was rambling on about the price of the programmable ignition-only ECU (as a product) and comparing that with the price of a fuelling and ignition programmable ECU

One is very much the same as the other in hardware...with the exception of a few more outputs (for fuel injectors) and the firmware algorithms to drive them ...... I was expecting the prices to be much closer together (not nearly double!)....that was my surprise.....and wondering if I should design, manufacture & sell programmable ECUs for a living

The actual price of the units are similar, its the cost of fitting all the extra wiring and subsystems that go with it.

Frank BTW your lambda system of mesuring AFS is totally inaccurate. If you tried that on a high power turbo engine you would kill it pretty quickly.

ed

yeh, point taken, i believe a turbo needs major enrichment at WOT (else you melt something)
but if i can keep my a/f/r at close to 14.7 in all conditions, it,ll do me :cool: (at these fuel prices)

Back