eBay issue.

Littlewood

Here comes the BOOM!
So I sold something on eBay, brand new and in pristine condition.

Now the buyer has opened a case against me saying it doesn't match the listing, its broken, second hand etc - wanting a refund.

I feel he's doing this because he's broken it, doesn't want it anymore or something. I've stated my case to eBay on the claim that HE initiated, and he's lied through his back teeth on said claim.

I can't help but think I'm going to get shafted and eBay force me to refund him - as how can I, or he for that matter prove anything?!

Sorry to hear it. eBay unfortunately is completely geared toward the buyer now, so regardless of who they would believe they'd probably screw you first! Ask him for pics of the damage, you obviously have pics on the listing of it pristine; could always dispute it with Royal Mail for damaged in transit? That's the problem (or the joy if you're buying) with the distance selling regulation! Hope it comes up good pal, sorry it's not really advice lol. If it's not actually in bad condition so if he's just changed his mind sort of thing, you could perhaps do it amicably; ask for it back in return for a full refund and relist it

i would offer full refund and demand he sent the items back then give him #### feedback. Id then approach the post office for some sort of compensation

You can't leave buyers bad feedback now. Even if they claim something hasn't arrived when it has. Even if they phone you at 3 in the morning drunk and raging because they bought the wrong thing. Even if they come round your house, hassle your pregnant wife, shouting on the doorstep and sitting in your drive for 3 hours until you come home because they bought somethin, realised they couldn't fit it and want their money back! :glare:

You can do one of 2 things.
1. Let the buyer go through ebay. They usually find in favour of the buyer but if they have tried this scam before ebay may be wise to them. Some people think if they give you a bit of hassle you will sh*t yourself and refund them for fear of getting a negative. (I don't, then again, I have 2 negatives! :laugh:)

2. The approach I'd take. Tell them to return the item, explain that (in accordance with ebay and the post office terms and conditions) you cannot refund them until you have seen the damage first hand. You might want to point out that under the Distance selling regulations (The law) you are not liable for return postage. If the original packaging is damaged and the things been damaged in transit you can claim the post office (takes 3 weeks). If you think he's at it tell him to take a run and jump. I'd rather have a negative than some chancer taking money out my pocket!

Whatever you do...

Don't offer to pay return postage! You wouldn't ask Currys to give you £2 for petrol as you had to return a DVD player, would you?

Don't refund until you have the damaged goods back. You would be amazed how good people are at fixing things they got for nothing!

Don't get angry. I know you would love to send him an abusive email/sh*t in a jiffy bag etc. but if they know they are getting to you they will go for everything they can get.

Let us know how you get on!

I've asked for it to go to eBay. I'm hoping that, like you said, the guy has tried this before and eBay is wise.

Some of the things he has stated in the case notes don't add up. For example - in one breath he says the item has parts missing and in the next says all the bits are there but some are broken?

Surely eBay will pick up on things like this?

Back