Worried about a false claim scam on my insurance

Been out in the Micra today, had a few errands to run and been on the way to the Post office, had just picked up 2 massive tubs of paint so I was driving even more carefully as it was because I didn't want them spilling all over the boot, now I've potentially got this headache to deal with.

So I was approaching a roundabout, a car was taking the exit infront of me and I was taking the second exit, I braked to let it go past, carried on, about 3/4 of a mile down the road I see someone weaving in and out of traffic trying to get around someone else in my rear mirror, I think nothing of it because I'm used to crazy drivers where I live. Starts honking the horn at me, so I move to let him go around and he starts following me so I find somewhere to pull in off the main road near a couple houses and see what he wants. Then they all pile out of the car saying I've hit them ? I know I haven't, I was easily 3-4 feet clear of them, I would have stopped if I had, The guy is pointing at the rear left side of his car saying look at the dent, all I could see was the shape/styling of the body panel and he's claiming there's dents and scratches and all sorts, but the way he was going on you'd think a bomb had gone off next to it, we go to look at the front of my car, there's nothing that wasn't already there, I have pictures of the existing damage when it occurred it was from someone hitting it while parked the winter before last. The guy's wife was pointing at that damage that had rusted over from 2 years ago (that wasn't even in the right place, the damage they were looking at was on the passenger side of my car, on a roundabout surely any damage would have been on my drivers side? it's only a little car and I'm 6'3" I can practically see if the headlights are on lol), but she's already made her mind up and shouting at the people in houses to call the police getting hysterical. I think at that point the driver had realised his mistake in listening to his passengers because he'd gone quiet. But the rest of them are all screaming at me with the phones out recording and I'm by myself so I told them to take a picture of my number plate and report it if they want and then I left. I think they just saw an opportunity to make some money and decided to take their chance, I don't know what they were expecting to happen though because I couldn't even see any old damage on their car that they could claim was me. My brother actually had something similar happen to him a few years back, in that case the woman who lived next door to a mate of ours wrote down his plate number "just incase something happened" and then waited for him to back out of a space before claiming he had somehow miraculously dented the entire bumper, his car was filthy at the time and it hadn't even disturbed the dust that was sitting on it. :ROFLMAO:

Been driving 10 years now, never had an accident while driving and never had anything like this happen before, I know it happens to everyone eventually but it's the last thing I need right now. I've already taken pictures when I've gotten home with time stamps on them in case anything comes of it. However I'm a bit shaken up and I know insurance doesn't always play out fairly. Anyone have an any advice on what I should do?

The insurance companies are getting a lot better at prosecuting insurance fraudsters after the huge upsurge in false claims, it is all too easy for me to say don't worry but I know how this type of crud can play on the mind, don't contact your insurance company because you were not involved in a collision, but maybe do phone 101 ? The police non emergency number and seek advice on how to deal with an insurance scam especially if you have the car registration to get them on file,, this could be how they make a living?

The insurance companies are getting a lot better at prosecuting insurance fraudsters after the huge upsurge in false claims, it is all too easy for me to say don't worry but I know how this type of crud can play on the mind, don't contact your insurance company because you were not involved in a collision, but maybe do phone 101 ? The police non emergency number and seek advice on how to deal with an insurance scam especially if you have the car registration to get them on file,, this could be how they make a living?
Yeah, I didn't report anything to the Police/insurance as like you say, no collision occurred so there's nothing to report. I know from when my car was hit by a drunk driver (while I wasn't in it) that they wanted to wait 48 hours for him to report the accident himself before they would go and find him, so if they have reported me for it I'm expecting a knock on the door before the weekend. I don't mind talking with the Police, they've always been reasonable with me and likewise, just give my version of events and hope for the best with justice being done. It does surprise me what people get away with though, I wouldn't dream of making a false report and like you said there's people who make a living making multiple per year. boggles the mind.o_O

I didn't take any details on the day and I don't know their reg, they were being fairly aggressive and I wasn't about to stand there arguing in the street with them especially not with phone cameras in my face, if they'd approached me in a reasonable way I'd have been willing to talk it out and explain and show them the pictures of the previous damage on my phone. I don't even know what type of car it was. It was dark metallic blue in colour though so I would have had a job taking photos of the supposed damage without an additional light