E15ET engine into K10

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
How ya doing guys.

My name is Dave Bull & you may have seen me in last years Banzai mag. issue May 2004. I won the FWD cass at the Banzai Bonanza Day @ Crail Raceway in Scotland in my Nissan Almera GTi running a 13.47 @ 105.9 mph.

This year however myself, and my tuners Outrun Performance decided to do what has been on the cards for a while...make an all out FWD drag car and go for broke. This involved getting the lightest possible chassis with the biggest powerplant that would fit.

Here's the score...I have an E15ET engine & drivetrain from a Cherry Turbo that I have transplanted into my K10 Micra 1.0. The mounts are done and so is the wiring, but the only problem I have is linking the gearbox to the hubs.

The powerplant has produced the goods before, running a proven 4.2 sec 0-60 time in the Cherry, and this was full interior and street tyres.

We have ripped the whole interior out, including the dash, and cut the door frames, and rear hatch, the lot.

It is running on custom suspension setup for drag!

The engine has been stroked to 1680cc with a boost friendly low compression ratio (approx. 6.5:1). We are now running a Garrett T28 from an S14 200sx and a large FMIC. We are also using a 50 shot of nitrous to spool the turbo and is also plumbed to cool the FMIC.

With proper tuning this should result in approx. 300 hp.

So you do the math guys...300 hp in a car that weighs say 600 kgs.

Has anyone done this conversion before, and if so what options are there using what driveshafts and from what car?

Help us out guys...if you do, the fastest FWD in the UK may be a K10!

Cheers

Dave

Lol, thats insane mate!!! You got any pics. :) Speak to Umar, he is your man as he has done the conversion twice and knows pretty much everything there is to know about the engines. :) Good luck in getting it sorted though. :D

ok well i have completed a full brake upgrade using k11 hubs onto the k10 drive. from this then u can do slight modifications which allow you to upgrade further from the k111 braking system up to the sunny/pulsar brakes. frm there your allowances are your limit!!!

hope this helps!!

if you become a full member there is full guides sections declared to this for aiding your project :)

good luck:)

i wanna see piccies :p

You can use Cherry's or Sunny's front hubs and driveshafts. Then you can position your engine and gearbox so that right or left driveshaft will fit without shortening. Hopefully you haven't located the engine finaly, or hopely other one of the driveshafts will fit straight. :) Then you'll have to shorten the other driveshaft - or what I'd prefer - have a custom lenght shaft made.

With those kind of engine mods and slicks maybe (?) on drag racing use I'm not sure would welded shaft hold it. I welded mine and it hasn't yet broken, but I haven't yet driven it on tarmac (it's winter in here...). I'm having that custom made new shaft just to make, but I'm not sure when I'll fit it. Maybe in this month or next month at least when I'm going to dynorun for street registration.

What engine management system are you using? Is that T28 ball bearing?

Good luck to your project
smiley_thumbsup.gif

OK, we had a K11 1.3 SLX in yesterday and while doing the clutch on it I nicked one of the driveshafts...luckily for us it fits perfectly, so it looks as though the K11 shafts will work. However, we also want to fit upgraded front brakes, but are not sure what calipers will bolt up onto the K10 hubs.

Wha is the best option?

the best option mate is to fit k11 wheel hubs and calipers as wayne mentioed above, or if you wan get them k11 MARCH (not micra) calipers direct fit to the k10 and mean you can have k11 brakes with no hastle cos its direct swap

Hello dave, Neilsr here from the AOC, uve come to the right place (finally) lol, there's some good knowledge here on the k10 mate, so no doubt we'll be able to get u sorted out.

RE: RE: E15ET engine into K10

NISMO_ALMERA said:
OK, we had a K11 1.3 SLX in yesterday and while doing the clutch on it I nicked one of the driveshafts...luckily for us it fits perfectly, so it looks as though the K11 shafts will work.
So K11 driveshafts would fit straight to Cherry's gearbox and Micra's hubs? Is the inner joint of K11 straight fit to Cherry's gearbox so that there isn't any gap fwn

For the calipers, you could fit K11 hubs and then N13 Sunny diesel/GTi vented brakes. The diameter of the discs is 240mm so 600kg Micra will stop very well with those. I have whole Sunny's front hubs on mine and those diesel vented brakes, because the law in here Finland requires better brakes because of more powerful engine.

Fastest FWD car in the UK? Could be hard, there are a few metro's with 1.8 K series engines in various states of tune around at the moment, there is one with a turbo'd 1.8 k series that i know of ( i did a lot of talking with the owner who built the engine himself about my current project which is a 1.6 turbo engine for my metro. the 1.8 turbo was kicking out 227Bhp at the wheels so you have somethign to go by and that was a couple of months back, they were planning on haveing the bottom end blueprinted and on a K series that means some nice 7500Rpm action and they were still playing with the ignition timeing and fueling and were still running relativley low boost, not really sure if the metro or the micra is lighter though but i will check that out next time i am at my garrage. :)
Owen

not to forget the FWD volvo turbo's aswell.. :) i.e 440, 460, 480. there are a few of them going round that are running 250+Bhp. I know for a fact there is a 460 going aroudn with a 2.3 turbo kicking out 230Bhp (almost standard) as i owned it for a few weeks before i got the CB900 :)

The fastest FWD car in the UK currently pulls a 12.4 qtr. Its quite a result.

Nah, a guy at Santa Pod has run an 11.2 in his turboed / nitrous Nova 2 litre.

It's basically a drag car!

As for the Volvo's, my mate Dougie Kyle used to own an 850 R with around 300 HP and 400 lbft torque. Was very nice but th most he could pull was a 13.9!

I've ran a 13.9 @ 98.5 in my Almera and 13.4 @ 105.9 with nitrous assist, so I have something to go by!

I have also driven Dougie's latest car, a Honda CRX Mk 2, with 2 litre VTEC and his best time to date is 13.3 @ 106.9!

But what you may not understand is the Micra is seriously lightweight. Weighing in at around 600 kg's with 300 HP in a drag prepped shell will really be something to watch out for.

To put it into perspective that's 500 HP / tonne, and that may mean nothing to you, but take a look at say the Ferrari Enzo, a seriously fast car right.

It PWR s 481 HP / tonne!

And it isn't on slicks!!!

We'll see how it gets on!

Cheers

Dave

P.S. I made 281 crank HP (approx. 236 WHP) last year on my SR20 and that was without a turbo, and the setup was very basic!

I was refering to the times last year from TOTB. Id be interested to see proof of the nova.
I totally understand how light a Micra is, power to weight torque etc. I had a 150bhp+ March ST, and the second ST I have now is approaching that. I plan to rebuild my first ST and achive over 200bhp from its 930cc engine (wheel figures) I also helped a friend build a 500+bhp SR20DET engine for his old pulsar, which I then mapped for him. After we distroyed the quaife box, that was sold and I have now been helping him with his drag prepped evo. This will be running over 2 bar boost and our target initially is in the 10's. The pulsars specs which we never got to fully explore due to gearbox failure was 11.8 @ 135mph at about 70% power. TOTB timing gear didnt get his top speed but he was bouncing off the limiter in 5th half way down the TOTB track. (i.e. already over 160mph)

135 mph terminal speed...how the hell didn't you net a 10 sec' run with that kinda power. Pulsar's launch like a beitch, and anything under a 1.7 60 ft time would hve surely netted you a 10 sec' 1/4!

As for the gearbox, don't I know it. I have had to purchase a gearbox from the U.S. with cyro treated & shot peened gearing. A lot of guys have run huge power through this setup, so my est. 400 HP shouldn't be a problem!

I personally don't think much of TOTB! It doesn't take into account the real drag racers of the U.K. And I'm not talking about 11's & 10's. There are many cars running in the 8's at the Pod (albeit on slicks), but there comes a point where you have to bite the bullet and use slicks. Street tyre will just not cut it!

What did you do to your ST to get it to 150 HP then?

Cheers

Dave

He didnt get into the 10's (which it was definately capable of) due to the fact that the day before TOTB the car was in bits in my garden having the quaife and os twin plate clutch fitted. We cut it so fine that on friday night 1 am I was mapping the car with him driving on the M1 near leeds. So on sat morning he just was so new to the gearbox his changes were really not that great.

As for TOTB being poor - I agree. However so many cars do run there it is possible to compare them sucessfully.

For the ST I had a custom HT10/T25 hybrid turbo built. Modified the exhaust and intake and then ran 1.4 bar boost.

As for SP very very few road legal cars get into the single figures. Its definately not common. I produced a video of the Jap show in oct 04. And only one semi road legal car managed that. (sumo power)

Ed

Back