DVLA Registration

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hey y'all

Im considering changing the model of my car with the DVLA from an L to a Super S. I know they let you change colour, engine size etc, is this something i'd be able to do?

The reason i want to change it is i'd have benefits when it comes to my insurance. Instead of declairing the bodykit, i'd just have to tell them its got aftermarket wheels instead of everything i've done to it!

All good advice apprechiated

Arnold

oooohhhhhh your entering the world beuracrasy (SP) and lots of red tape. IMO they wont let you change it from manufatcurers intended model regardless of what body/engine work you have done as the (in their eye) the mods have not been done to manufacturers spec and build quality. and they would probably thing your trying to ring a car or its a cut and shut.

the chassis number would have to be logged and checked and checked and logged and checked, and you may have to pay for a new registration, or declaire its as a "Q" plate (reserved for cars that are either a kit car or a year of registration is unkonwn/uncertain) persaonally i dont think you'd be able to do it. and i could end up costing more than the difference it would save you on insurance.

then there is the insurance company to deal with etc, and selling the car with a change of log book etc. it could get messy

Dont like the sound of that but i guess its to be expected! I'l drop em an email and see what they say.

Ok second option then, could i tell my insurance company its a K10 super s but with a replaced 1.0 engine instead of the 1.2! or will they check the DVLA to see if the model associated with my reg plate matches up with the model im giving them? When i do a quote online, it always returns '1.0 L' but if it was arranged verbally, do you reckon they'd check it?

I was going to wait until the engine was converted before i changed my details with the DVLA and discussed the mods with my insurance, but just wanna make sure my insurance isnt invalid by having Super S mods when it isnt one in writing!

If anyone here has tried what i want to do, could you also let me know! Did it work / fail / any further advice

Cheers
Arnold

The insurance company will need the registration plate, and from this they can tell the model make etc... so that probably wouldn't work either mate.

it can never be changed arnold, your car will always remain an L and not a super s.

my friend tried to change his XR3i to a RS turbo cause it looked exactly like one and had the engine, interior and kit etc but the DVLA will never let you change the name of the car.

Mark said:
my friend tried to change his XR3i to a RS turbo cause it looked exactly like one and had the engine, interior and kit etc but the DVLA will never let you change the name of the car.

Cheers mark, thats really all i wanted to know - if anyone from previous experience had tried and failed!

Dont mind leaving it as it is, just thought it might be a way to reduce my insurance slightly

Tip for declaring your mods though, anything non performance related ie bodykits etc is insured for replacement value so saying it was 20 quid or however much from a scrappy and didn't cost anything to fit means you hardly pay any extra. Same applies to wheels, interior and exhausts unless you know your loud backbox actually increases the power (unlikely). I recently declared lowering springs, backbox, bucket seats, alloys and an MA12 conversion to Tesco for an increase of 52 quid for the year over standard... :) Adrian Flux were most unhelpful & didn't ask questions so it's worth saying to your insurers that your bits were cheap, eg alloys were under 250 quid for the set.

Phew! Hope it was worth the lengthy post!

Cheers Herr that helps alot! I had a feeling they'd either cancel the existing policy as they werent declaired when i took it out or really heavily increase the price i have to pay.

Im with Tesco at the moment so will probably give them a call to sort it out. :)

I wouldnt have thought an insurance increase would be great because when i swopped my old 1.2 LS (1.0 on logbook) over to my super s the insurance company didnt increase my premium

The only reason i question the change in price is i did a quote for my reg plate, and did a quote on a super s reg plate, and the price was about £150 different! Wasnt sure if that was because the SS had alloys as standard, or if it was because of the seat, or because it was a 1.2!?

Back