Dual Cone or Coaxial?

Dual cone aren't components, with dual cone and co-axials the speaker is in the one housing with the tweeter above the woofer.

With a component they're seperate, components are better, as what happens when you crank the volume the woofer pushes and moves the tweeter, which causes distortion or in worse cases destroys it. Components don't do this as it's seperate.

If you do your research and have a bit of knowledge, you can position tweeters and woofers in a components system so that you get a much better listening experience.

Alienfish360 said:
components are better, as what happens when you crank the volume the woofer pushes and moves the tweeter,

No it doesnt. The tweeter is mounted on a fixed pole, it cannot move. Infact technically the co-axials should sound better as all the sound is coming from a point source. But the can often be covered by your legs etc blocking the tweeters which are highly directional so components allow you to move the tweeters to somewhere where this cannot happen.

Dual cone by the way is a method by which you attempt to get a normal 5-6 inch speaker for example to reproduce highfrequencies better than it would otherwise. The basis behind this is that the larger cone cannot respond to the high frequency material (imagine exterme case a sub) but a small cone can. so they place a much smaller cone on the larger cone in an attempt to improve on this. Its not great - just cheap. But its better than no smaller cone, but no where near as good as a co-axial would be.

Ed

Cheers guys, thats cleared that up...

But which one would you suggest for replacement of the front standard speakers in a k11?

As long as your willing to put the effort in then components sound much better than coax. I replaced my standard door speaker with a 6 1/2 mid woofer and mounted the tweeters further up the door card and angled towards my ears. Sounds great as long as you can get the distance and angles right.

Back