Cone filter

Like this

Attachments

• 1440023616625.jpg
    1440023616625.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 625
The oil breather draws hot oily air from the crankcase into the intake. Hot air = bad. Cold air = good. Put a small filter on it, run a straight pipe from your filter to the throttle body. Get the filter as close to cold air as you can.

You will notice the difference.

:)

Chris.

Nope. The purpose of that pipe is to reuse hot oil gasses to improve economy, cold running and save polar bears and such.

Cold air is more compressed than hot air. Compressed air is what a turbo or supercharger does for you (forced induction). You want as much cold air as possible, meaning you fit as much air as possible into each cylinder.

nzaw7da

You can plumb an oil catch can on the breather to pickup any oily gasses and keep your bay clean.

Done it many times, money back if I'm wrong. ;)

Chris.

Last edited:
Whatever you can fit in the space you have. If its near a heat source, get one with a heat shield, that will stop any heat soak from nearby hot bits.

:)

C.

On the MR2's I shove the air filter right into the side vent in the engine bay to get it as far away from the hot bits as possible.

no7jhe9

I did this with a Starlet, but it still picked up heat from the engine bay. Ideally it needed a scoop and a box built around it, so the air it gets is external and cold as possible.

Nope. The purpose of that pipe is to reuse hot oil gasses to improve economy, cold running and save polar bears and such.

Cold air is more compressed than hot air. Compressed air is what a turbo or supercharger does for you (forced induction). You want as much cold air as possible, meaning you fit as much air as possible into each cylinder.

nzaw7da

You can plumb an oil catch can on the breather to pickup any oily gasses and keep your bay clean.

Done it many times, money back if I'm wrong. ;)

Chris.

Have looked at this kit many times on eBay! Do you know if they are any good? My main concern about fitting an induction kit is with the oil breather because I don't want it to suck up loads of crap

Have looked at this kit many times on eBay! Do you know if they are any good? My main concern about fitting an induction kit is with the oil breather because I don't want it to suck up loads of crap
Hi @Adamm

Yes they are pretty good. Fit one, fit an oil catch can, job done.

Chris.

Can I not just fit a breather pipe? Then fit a catch can at a later point
Yes you can. But as I mentioned further up, the breather from the engine (crank case ventilation) will chuck out oily hot air. With a standard air box, that air gets sucked back into the engine and recycled.

If you fit an aftermarket air filter / cone filter etc the breather gasses are not used, which is why we fit catch cans. The engine will run cleaner and quicker without the breather gasses because engines like cold clean air not dirty old air. It's done to try and reduce engine pollution, and improve cold running and economy etc. It does not improve performance.

If you didn't want to splash out on a catch can, you could just stick a filter on the end of the breather pipe. It's basically a smaller version of an air filter.

a8d85733a3841b16c4b0d1d36d84a623.jpg

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Yes you can. But as I mentioned further up, the breather from the engine (crank case ventilation) will chuck out oily hot air. With a standard air box, that air gets sucked back into the engine and recycled.

If you fit an aftermarket air filter / cone filter etc the breather gasses are not used, which is why we fit catch cans. The engine will run cleaner and quicker without the breather gasses because engines like cold clean air not dirty old air. It's done to try and reduce engine pollution, and improve cold running and economy etc. It does not improve performance.

If you didn't want to splash out on a catch can, you could just stick a filter on the end of the breather pipe. It's basically a smaller version of an air filter.

a8d85733a3841b16c4b0d1d36d84a623.jpg

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Ohh I see! So I could just use a little filter and then a standerd cone filter? Without all the worrys of a breather pipe and stuff? thing is if I was to use a standerd cone filter would it not use all the hot air from the engine?

Okay two questions there!

Firstly yes, you can use a cone air filter (I call them K&N type) and an oil breather filter. Much simpler solution. Lots of people do this, but sometimes the filter still allows dirty gasses into the engine bay, which makes the engine bay dirty.

Secondly yes, you have the added challenge of trying not to use the hot air from within the engine bay. That's why standard air boxes have pipes, to fetch air from the edge of the engine bay. You can improve on this immensely by using a cold air feed kit with your filter, although you might have to get creative and make something fit.

Typical example.

bb0f7bdb22bf702d30eafb04f2c0c14c.jpg

Chris.

I think il go for that kit you posted about a bit earlier, and then add a breather pipe or filter for the time being. Thanks for all the help! Sorry to be a pain

Put the almera/primera gti airbox on. Pretty much a straight swap, you just need to cut the intake pipe shorter. See my blog. Sounds great and gives a better drive.