drilling airbox?

jonpw

Ex. Club Member
whats all this about drilling the airbox? does it make a difference to anything apart from sound? does it have to be done in a special way? will it have a detrimental effect on the way the engine runs cos more crap will get in? Anyone have any ideas or comments or anything on this subject?

its just a cheap way of making the car sound nice. Aslong as the filter is still in place there shouldn't be too much crap getting in. The more holes drilled the louder the sound. Treat yourself to a decent induction kit if i was you.

If you want better airflow and a little induction roar without an induction kit, you can use a chisel to cut away the hatched plastic on the cover of the airbox.
I spent a few week with a chisel and various grades of sand paper to get it smooth. The result was a smoother throttle response higher up the rpm range and an increase in induction noise.

You can argue that the hatched plastic is to there to aid the airflow and resonance pulses as the throttle opens and closes OR argue that it's just there to dampen out induction noise. Regardless of the reason there was noticeable amount of difference but i have not real evidence to proof the theory without a flow bench.

as the guys have said, it will give u a different sort of sound, but u wont see any benefit on performance. if u want to improve performance, get urself a decent induction kit.

well im kinda the same, i dont want to buy a K&N, as tbh i cant afford one at this moment in time, but also i cant afford an induction kit,

I kinda wanna run this past some of you guys, as i plan to go to the scrap yard tomorrow, get an airbox lid for a few quid, drill holes in that and put some tights over it, to stop crap from gettin in the engine,

what do ya reckon?? will it improve the sound????

the holes should improve sound but depending on where you drill the holes you may not even need to use tights - besides dont know how these would cope inside the hot engine bay!

good luck (Y)

well im kinda the same, i dont want to buy a K&N, as tbh i cant afford one at this moment in time, but also i cant afford an induction kit,

I kinda wanna run this past some of you guys, as i plan to go to the scrap yard tomorrow, get an airbox lid for a few quid, drill holes in that and put some tights over it, to stop crap from gettin in the engine,

what do ya reckon?? will it improve the sound????

you might be better to drill the holes upstream of the filter (under the base) but you are going to draw in some hot air whichever way fwn
stock GA1.6 cai and airbox ftw :cool:

Drilling the airbox is a waste of time in terms of performance. As Frank said, a GA16 airbox and piping will be better than anything you can do with a standard airbox......they're a blatant restriction, (depending on extent of other modifications such as exhaust system, cams, ecu tuning etc).

pah, who needs airfilters!

I never ran my viva with airfilters, through all conditions:

S73F1937.jpg

Brum brum

I drilled my airbox the other day, I drilled the base of the air box, I thought the results were impressive, obviously there was no increase in power (that I noticed) however when you floor the throttle it gives out a great induction roar it sounds like I have a performance exhaust on it! The noise is the greatest in 3rd gear ,best free Mod ive done!

About 3 months after doing mine I was driving along, the stereo was broken and I had a quiet exhaust back on for MOT, I could hear a really weird 'whoosh' noise under heavy acceleration, took me ages to work out it was cos I had drilled the airbox as the holes were underneath so from the top it looked standard.

A nice sound but no power increase (or decrease)

Back