Modified airbox

drilled my airbox today i used a couple of different sized hole saws from 2 1/8" to 1 1/2"
managed to get
2, 2 1/8"
2, 1 3/4"
and 2, 1 1/2" holes
leaving hardly anything left under the filter and
its awesome :D i cant believe the difference its made, normal driving there is no difference but when things get spirited you get a nice satisfying BAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPP!!!!! cue me grinning from ear to ear eager for more. really noticeable decrease in the time it takes to get from 30 to 60+
have herd/driven cars with aftermarket induction and this is much louder
big thumbs up from me and my 1st ghetto mod

need to get myself an new panel filter now any recommendations cost/where from?

Hehe was going to say, under the filter will be sucking up heat lol, and you dont wan't that (But if its working so far, why not)

I'd like some pictures too, i'm tempted :p

inside the airbox

IMAG0171.jpg

HOLEY **** BATMAN

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

made the hole by the stock intake first took it out and it made some noise but i wanted more so did all the others
IMAG0174.jpg

Instead of all the drilling why not just cut the off the bit under the filter completely?
since theres not much left anyway

Instead of all the drilling why not just cut the off the bit under the filter completely?
since theres not much left anyway

well i believe its the holes that cause the resonance, having just the whole bottom cut out would make hardly any noise (someone correct me if im wrong)

im sure it would sound the same to be honest, but hey it makes noise makes you happy and thats what its all about (Y) keep up the good work

When i done this to my last micra i drilled the top of the box to try and prevent the hot air and it seemed to be better than the underneith method, also i brought a burnt out tip to bolt on and people believed it was the real thing lol(until the bonnet was popped)..

also i drilled on the part of the lid that was not over the filter if that makes sence.. the idea was to try and keep the pressure of the suction right..

but dude keep up the good work, as lond as you get the smiles and thrills thats what its all about.

by the way i no it was wrong to drill there because it wasnt filtering the air so i placed a tight on the inside and glued it in place to try and help filter

i think the gauze that nissan fit to the airbox is adequate enough anyways all you got to do is give it a clean every now and then. (Y)

if you've drilled the top of the airbox so that engine bay air would be sucked from between the filter & TB, you may as well just throw away that airbox and stretch the tights over the mouth of the TB

thanks for the replys men, it does indeed make me happy.

dont think i would like to drill the top of the airbox though id be wary of running without an air filter :( what i may do though is get a big (car washing) budget sponge from halfrauds and zip tie it on to the tb and get rid of the box that would rock lawl FU pipercross

does it still sounds good with just a standard air box with a K&N Panel filter in there? also what about just having 1 large whole? still make a good noise?

Ive just took the top half of the airbox and the filter off mine, need to get round to removing the whole thing.. sounds meaty!

They sound good without the airboxes or drilled but as soon as you start drilling holes the whole idea of having an airbox goes out the wondow as it looses its properties. The air coming through the intake is now going to be floating in and out all of those holes meaning there'll be bugger all pressure in the box. Also holes of that size will make no difference to just cutting the whole lot out! Then there's the warm air issue (taking your front grille out might help this somewhat).

Back