Disc pre load (torque figures of disc to drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
One for someone who's got a repair manual: Can you let me know the Disc to Drive shaft preload please? Ie the torque figures for fitting the discs to the drive shafts then how many turns do I back to hub nut off?

I'm asking because I can't get a manual till the middle of next week and I have to replace the discs tomorrow because when I remove the pads both discs can be moved forwards by the entire gap of the caliper which I know isn't good. Ok now I've got loose steering but I'm unhappy with how loose the discs are.

Charlotte

Charlotte

2 replase the discs u dont need 2 undo the drive shafts nuts at all what u do is u take the top and bottom bolts out the callpers rest it somewhere take out the pads then with a hammer bang the discs out from behind and that is that easy and straight forward

I know that bit. I'm asking for the torque figures used to secure the discs to the hubs/shafts then the figures of how many turns I back the castle nut off if the castle nuts holds the discs onto the hub/shafts/strutt because the discs on my K10 are too loose

Charlotte

when u take the wheel off can u grab the discs and move it from back and forthand if it does dont worry about it whe wheel will hold it on

der.....the wheel holds the disc's on....the only time you need to use a torque wrench is when your rebuilding an engine.....

There are figures for fitting discs. And you use a Torque wrench for every nut on a car!! not just an engine. Ill send a private message to who seems to have an idea of what I'm on about.

Charlotte

There are figures for fitting discs. And you use a Torque wrench for every nut on a car!! not just an engine. Ill send a private message to who seems to have an idea of what I'm on about.

Charlotte

You dont need a torque wrench for every bolt, just Engine & possibly suspension like Bob has said. Bob builds autograss race cars so i think he knows what he's on about!

Also, you cant PM as your not an official member

I use a torque wrench for as many nuts as guided by the haynes.

That includes wheel nuts and front brake caliper bolts.

How tight something has to go is a skill or previous experience, every nut and bolt on a car has a torque figure (should know since i build from scratch). Charlotte i understand what you say about the "disc" being loose think you may actually be reffering to the wheel bearing.
Cant remember what type of bearing the k10 has, with a castle nut it should be what im thinking: Feel the top and bottom play in the wheel, tighten till this goes but do not overtighten just enough to stop the wobble then put in a new split pin and report back.

Are we getting front disks confused with rear drums here?

FYI I never use a torque wrench unless its for something like a headgasket. HOWEVER i wouldn't advise this for somone who is inexperienced or unsure.

As for a front brake disk on a K10. as has been said, there are no bolts that hold it on. It is only held on by the clamping force of the front wheel.

One final note, I would ask people here to refrain from being rude to other members, the msc does not tolerate this.

Ed

Hi I found that out when I removed the calipers to replace the disc's. Never come across a disc not held in by the castle nut. Something learnt today. I think I know what I'm doing too I rebuild luxury car engines.

Solved two problems The steering has gone light now and the brakes have been solved as they expelled a large lump of air and gunge so replacing all the flexi hoses.

Charlotte

Charlotte

There are not any nissan's I have worked on that have disks held on by any kind of nut. It certainly is not common on most cars, that is not to say all however that I have worked on.

Also we don't need everyone to say 'they know what they are doing', it doesn't help anyone and we are all here to share info and help others, not to prove level of competence.

Off topic. This clearly isnt going to go anywhere, topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back