Desperate for help with child seats!

We own a 1994 3 door hatchback Micra Wave and we're trying to get a car seat for our baby (due in a few weeks). I have trawled the net and various manufacturers websites to try and find out which car seats will actually fit the car and have had no luck.

Our local Halfords do not do any rear-facing seats that fit "such an old car" and our local Mothercare does not offer car seat fitting so now we're completely stuck for what to do :(

Can someone please help?

my parents had a car seat with a permenant mounted base for it, that was rear facing, the base belted in and had a leg that went done to the car floor to support its self and the acutal baby seat locked into that, that was a universal one from a major company (forget the name), that was fitted to a nissan primera 1993, a 1989 BMW 520 and a 1991 nissan micra k10, it was bought new about 5 years ago, but i would have thought you could still get them.

it wasn't car or manufacturer sepcific, it was 'universal'

We have a mama's and papa's Pro-Sleep belt in seat that has been used by the boy (2) and the girl (3 months). That has fitted in my old merc, the micra and is now belted in the fiat. George is now in a Maxi-cosi that has also been fitted to both the micra and fiat.

right, halfords do sell a child seat to fit your car.
i was the deputy manager for 6 years..lol

the seat in question is the maxi-cosi Priori-fix

it has a fixed base that is simply strapped into the car and a stabilising foot stands in the foot well to prevent it rolling forward in a crash. the child seat then just clips into this base.

NEVER EVER EVER FIT A CHILD SEAT WITHOUT THE FIXED BASE!!!
i cant emphasise this enough to you. it is unsafe and irresponsible. not only can the seat be removed by had in this method, imagine where the child and seat would end up in a roll over?

also do not buy mamma's and papas stuff. they are not Emarked for use as a child seat. they get away with it as they are classed under retail sales catagories as "push chair accessories" not child safety seats.

maxi-cosi are fantastic. the designs are perfect in every way, simple and so easy to fit and use. (Y)(Y)

Thank you for the help everyone. We are now the proud owners of a Graco autobaby base + seat that fit perfectly(Y)

i used the maxicosie for my little girl from birth in a k11 and she is now one, but i brought a bigger car family car 6 months in as there not realy ideal. i looked at the ncap crash test and just though Noooooo f'n way will i be putting my child in a k11 anymore, take a look youself if you care about saftey, no newborn would survie that.

That's a horrible thing to post - do you really think I wanted to see that? A car is a big expense, I'm about to start maternity leave so our income will be going down considerably, and a baby is expensive. I would LOVE to go out and get a lovely new family car but that's the last thing we can afford right now!

right, halfords do sell a child seat to fit your car.
i was the deputy manager for 6 years..lol

the seat in question is the maxi-cosi Priori-fix

it has a fixed base that is simply strapped into the car and a stabilising foot stands in the foot well to prevent it rolling forward in a crash. the child seat then just clips into this base.

NEVER EVER EVER FIT A CHILD SEAT WITHOUT THE FIXED BASE!!!
i cant emphasise this enough to you. it is unsafe and irresponsible. not only can the seat be removed by had in this method, imagine where the child and seat would end up in a roll over?

)

The Priorifix seat is for 9 months upwards so is not in anyway suitable for a newborn and it is an ISOFIX seat - a 1994 Micra is not Isofix compatible and having looked at the product information, I can't see anything that says it's compatible with the "EASIBASE" that Maxicosi do.

Also, why the hell are you YELLING at me about fitting a seat without a fixed base when I have not mentioned this in my OP at all? Do I give the impression that I intended to buy a seat that requires a base but not the base itself? I think not. There are also plenty of safe car seats in production that don't use bases at all.

Back