DEPO Crystal headlights: pictures of the lighting at night

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Thought i'd show you all some pictures of some depo lights that have been aimed for right hand drive roads. I don't have any pictures of them before hand sorry.

The light beam is concentrated too close to the car at the moment - the lack of rear interior actually gives the rear a bit more height. I have to adjust the pitch of the headlights once I complete what I am doing with the rear of the interior.

...Oh and yes, headlights are meant to be re-aimed when you change your suspension height. Bet you didn't know that!

Anyway we'll start with some funny little things these headlights have for LHD roads. Check out this little light projection on the right...

Attachments

• 13155.jpg
    13155.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 46

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
And on the left..

You can see the lenses have very good light control. I am impressed with them. I wish they just had some RHD examples.

Attachments

• 13156.jpg
    13156.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 59

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Some front on High beam (now also remember this is a Super S with front driving lights adding to the amount of light closer to the car - mine shine more on the ground than anywhere else).

Attachments

• 13158.jpg
    13158.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 45

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Here you can see where the real problem lies with my light setup. It is impossible to get anymore light spread over to the left hand side...

Here's a low beam picture

Attachments

• 13159.jpg
    13159.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 45

cisco

» CMF Member
Good useful thread.

I have exactly the same problem with mine.

I love their appearance, they are such nice looking lights, but really a fraction dangerous I reckon because the alignment is bad. Mine are worse, all over the place, I haven't spent the same amount of time adjusting them.

I tried once, but they seemed to not be adjusting as I wanted them to, maybe I am on the limits of adjustment already like yours.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Yom,

Yes that's very bad... very dangerous indeed !. Not only for yourself (not being able to see things on the LH side of the road) but these lights would also dazzel drivers of oncoming cars.

My advice would be to take these lights off ASAP and just keep them for daylight/show use.

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
i took my crystal black lights apart to change the reflectors and i found that the screw that adjusts the reflector has the thread in reverse. so to move the lens towards the front of the car you have to undo it?!? i used an electric drill cos i'm lazy and after a few minutes of turning and the reflector not moving i put the drill in reverse and it poped straight off :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I've made 100% certain they don't shine in other driver's eyes.

This has been at a slight loss to night time performance though.

There are ways around what is happening here and I am determined to keep the crystal lights. I'm not giving them up without a fight.

Cheers

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Oh also the camera isnt too crash hot at night, in reality there is alot more light out to the left hand side (more light infact than quite a few other small cars I've driven at night).

I can actually see what is happening out to the left quite well.

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
I saw NeX's lights at the Micra meet in the UK on Sunday and he's done a very good job with them, putting standard reflectors in the crystal headlights, however this does mean that there is nothing to "image" the light (normal ones use the glass, crystal ones use a more fancy reflector).

We have more of a problem over here I think as these lights, not only are dangerous, but they actually fail the yearly car test (MOT). I know as mine failed back in December and I currently have standard lights on :(

Would be very interested if someone can change the aim completely without having to take them apart though! :)

James.

Attachments

• 13208.jpg
    13208.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 45

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
well i'm waiting for some new bumpers to arrive, when they do i will put the crystal lights on and take them down to the nissan garage. they can aline them with a machine and then test if they are legal.

if they are not legal then i might see if i can alter the glass slightly so that it only shines on the left...

will keep you all informed. if it works then there will be a guide on the MSC (www.micra.org.uk)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
What did you do to the lower lights? (they're driving lights which only turn on with the highbeams in australia).

They look sexier than usual...

Attachments

• 13239.jpg
    13239.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
Yeah, they're the same as the UK ones - they only come on with main beam. Which is annoying when it's foggy! I plan to wire them up independently when its less cold outside (currenly 1C at 10.38am), lousy British winter ¬_¬ lol

Best of luck again to you NeX, in the mean time I will just have to play with my Super March LED clusters, they were ordered yesterday :D £110 (~ AU$257)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
James - i recommend against running those factory lights seperate to the high beams. The beam is more of a spread than a pointing beam - foglights are meant to be around 22W and have a very sharp lense, with a very defined and pointy-like beam to penetrate the fog.

The big fat and untamed 55w light which comes from those lower lights is utterly useless for pentrating fog.

I recommend a decent aftermarket solution...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
MIght have been foglight bulbs but to activate on high beam means driving light, and the lense is also definately shaped for a driving light rather than a fog light.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
When aiming them, don't have them too close to the ground infront of the car. having too much light there can actually screw up your long range vision at night...

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
some one asked what i'd done to my Driving lights?

i took them apart and masked off the reflectors and sprayed them black :) easier than the headlights :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Sweet.

Well. I just sold my crystal headlights. I didn't give up on them I just got into a bit of financial strife after purchasing uni text books.

I'll some more later when i figure out a way to ger them to work safely.

Back