deleting rear windscreen wiper

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
On the outside One bolt on the wiper arm. On the inside a few plastic retainer screw on the hatch cover plate and three bolts on the wiper motor and its out. Then just cover the hole with a rubber grommet you can buy at most auto stores.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
having a new hatch thrown on in a week or 2 and its getting the nice respray, just wondering how do you cover the hole professionally? fiberglass? would that little hole cost a lot to have filled by the autoshop respraying it?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Pierce WROTE:

"having a new hatch thrown on in a week or 2 and its getting the nice respray, just wondering how do you cover the hole professionally? fiberglass? would that little hole cost a lot to have filled by the autoshop respraying it?

If they're already respraying it, it shouldn't cost too much more to have it deleted - it's the best time to get it done.

Replacing it with a grommet is a piece of piss - just undo the hatch inner cover, unbolt the motor (~3 bolts from memory) and unbolt the arm from the outside after removing the cover over the threaded shaft from the motor.

I got my grommet from Clark Rubber a few years back and I think it was 28mm - just ask if you can test it on it first and once you find the right one, buy it :)

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
That's correct - it's underneath the inner cover for the hatch. Once you take the cover off, you'll pretty quickly be able to see where it can be unbolted from. Just remember that you need to take the bolt off from the base of the wiper blade on the outside of the car first, before being able to completely disassemble the rest of the motor bits.

---dens

CMF_Happy Dude

» CMF Member
filling it in permanently is easy as.
I did it to a car of mine i resprayed a while ago. i am however a spraypainter.
But yes as it was sugested above the easiest way to do it would be fibreglass, or more specificly fibreglass reinforced filler. which is what i did.
the process is just tap the edges of the hole in i bit with a hammer basicly so the area around the hole is slightly concave, like the hole is in the middle of a dint. This is done to give the filler strength to cover the hole. Otherwise it would only be covering the actual hole so the filler would just fall thru. then put a piece of tape or tomething on the back of the hole, to make it possible to wipe in the filler into the "dint" without it falling thru untill it has dried. then wipe it in, rub back, fill pinholes etc with finer filler, rub smooth then prime rub smooth again, then paint.

It is a fairly easy thing to do. All the stuff u need cold easily be bought from supercheap. so you could save a bit of money and do it yourself if ur keen then get the pro's to put on the paint.

Back