Deep door speakers - mounting ideas...?

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
I've just ordered myself some SPS-171A component speakers which I think are too thick to go in the door spaces (the diameter's right, but the depth is too great).

How have other people mounted deep speakers in the door? I was thinking of cutting out the grill in the door and using MDF rings (or something similar) to mount the speaker, poking out of the newly cut hole. Then I can over with a custom grill.

IS this a good idea, or are there any better ones?

My focus is (a) keep the car looking normal inside - I don't want to draw attention to a decent ICE system and (b) not too much effort - I don't want to make a new door panel!

Thanks for your help

Yeah the spacer idea is probably the best on the outside of the door if you want it looking standard, pretty easy to make also. :)

Depending how deep they are you may be able to get away with cutting the widening the gap so a spacer can fit behind the door cards speaker grill.

If the speakers are really deep then you will have to cut the door card. This can be done in two ways

1) make the custom grill as you said
2) Cut the oem grill off the door card were it joins the door pocket. Then extend the back of it with mdf and fibre glass. When you have it to the height you need cover it in fabric and then rejoin it to the door to cover you speakers.

Mike

Back