Custom big brakes

ebay list the k12 at 160mm vented, which are bigger than ad22v ones anyway, plenty big enough for a 1.0 k12 surely ??

Liar, liar, pants on fire ^_^
whut u know...
128838659162118250.jpeg

Step ahead of you there, Paul :p i already have a switch panel wired in and im designing a splice to go to a switch to disable the ABS ;) what sort of braking 'gains' should I be seeing from a set of race pads? Or is it just a case of deciding whether they work well enough or not out of my own opinion? Plus I just remembered that I have a set of 17" wheels that just need some machining of the bolt holes to make them fit, so if push comes to shove then ill get a dremel on them and give myself some more room for bigger calipers :)

choosing an appropriate braking system can be a complicated process.
I wrote a simplified analogy here:
http://micra.org.uk/threads/big-brakes.56062/#post-589707

btw dunno if the k12 has the same hub splash guard but on my k11 hub with pulsar brakes that used to glow red hot on track, I found that this splash cup was blocking air into the vented disc.

scaled.php
scaled.php

so I cut it off and the discs operate much cooler on a recent trackday

scaled.php

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-59#post-525073

Brake force is proportional to surface friction × brake diameter
Pads with more bite increase the surface friction. No where near as much gains as larger rotors but you can see gains. Greenstuff have the highest declared frictional coefficient I've come accross :)

Thats actually a good analogy, Pollyp. I'll figure out what sort of trauma these brakes will be going through first and then plan my attack from there :p and i'll do some testing with the stock pads at a disclosed location and get some base figures for stopping distances and response and compare those with EBC Greenstufg pads :) if that doesnt feel like its enough then ive found some brake calipers which are overkill which will certainly stop the car in a distance under 3 feet hahaha im just trying to get the 'stopping' portion of the build down before i start working on the 'go' because if it goes but cant stop then it wont go for very long :p

Ive invested in a set of EBC greenstuff brakepads and they've been biting well so far, but they're still lacking much real stopping power ... I've had them in about a year so they have had plenty of time to break-in (excuse the pun). Thinking about getting drilled and slotted rotors and seeing if that helps at all? I don't honestly know how plausible it would be to start looking for a set of bigger calipers as the bolt pattern is bound to need modifying somehow, but can you really modify forged steel to make it fit a wider or narrower bolt separation on the wheel hub?

All the slotted discs will do is chew up your pads faster. There's reasoning for them but not at our level.
PollyP noticed this during his track testing recently, that a solid disc would be more beneficial

So you would recommend bigger calipers or rotors? Braking power is barely sufficient and its getting to the point where it seems like I am braking right on the edge of the tyre's slip limit, but then again I don't know for a fact what the slip limit is. I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers when I do have to slam on the brakes though

If your brakes lock up, you've exceeded the tyres "grip" limit with that particular setup
If your brakes arent locking up then you need to push the pedal harder

So you would recommend bigger calipers or rotors? Braking power is barely sufficient and its getting to the point where it seems like I am braking right on the edge of the tyre's slip limit, but then again I don't know for a fact what the slip limit is. I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers when I do have to slam on the brakes though
are (bigger than gtir) 260mm vented brakes failing to stop a 1.0 k12 ??

Assuming that stock rotors are 260mm (they're definitely vented) then yes, with a set of EBC greenstuff pads they are. But I'm getting going a decent pace on a slight downhill :p it was coming down a hill and coming up to an 's' bend and i was going 70 or 80 and I reckon the braking distance was 40 or 50 metres BARELY

And its a set of Dunlop fast response tyres so the slip limit should be pretty good i reckon ..... i'll go find a straight road somewhere, put my foot down and get a rough idea of what the stopping distance is and how hard i can push. Im working on an ABS killswitch at the moment so once ive got that up and running ill have a better idea of whats what with braking

Back