Crossmember differences?

I will shortly be looking to replace a k11 lower crossmember, but looking on ebay there appear to be two types available. One is bowed, the other is straight.........why? Will it have to be welded or will bolting be sufficient?

Thanks for your input.

Its true, if you bolt the new crossmember in it won't fall out!

However!

The crossmember when welded, links the chassis legs and gearbox mounting bar. If you bolt it on but don't weld it, the loads absorbed by the welded structure are passed onto other (potentially weaker) areas. Not only that, if you are unlucky enough to crash it the chassis legs will not absorb the shock as well.
The crossmember is quite a stressed component, in some circles people reckon the reason it rusts so fast is because of the flexing and vibration it has to put up with.
Also, I saw a K11 at the salvage auctions a few weeks ago with no crossmember, bumper or radiator. The parts that were missing were on the back seat. The crossmember was still shiney and new looking! You don't think someone bolted it on then tried to tow it did they? LOL!

Nissan aren't stupid. They aren't going to buy a shiney spot weld robot to weld crossmembers on if it doesn't need to be welded in the first place!

Agree with the above about welding it in, yes it's more of a job but will be stiffer.
I got mine in on friday which is this one. Pretty good fit although some of the large captive nuts on the ends were difficult to get lined up but weren't that bad that they had to be moved.

Forgot to take pictures of it fitted. Gave it a good coat of underseal.

Back