Could have bent valves! help

Blake

Ex. Club Member
right didnt feel up to fitting my 1.4 cams myself, so....
got a mobile mechanic who id been recomended to do them thinking everything should be ok

well he cracked on with the car this morning, its done but when its running its rattleing very very loadly and runs badly!

so i wasnt happy so i took it to a local tuners and thay looked at the shims and there has to be a 5mm gap between some of them some you could fit a pound coin between!!

he must have noticed the clearences and thought f*** it its his car!
so now im £70 down and could have bent valves.

i rung the guy up he says hes coming back tomoro morning but he proably wont.

gunna try my cg10 shims with the cg14 cams because the cg14 shims has left the huge gap. does anybody know if this will solve it?

why would there be a problem with clearnces if he fitted the cg14 shims along with the cams?

i might have to put the cg10 cams back in if he carnt sort it and tbh i dont trust him to sort it but it has to be done and help guys????

blake

the pre-coilpack shim,s are only 2.5mm thick, so theres something wrong there ?
if you,ve got a 5mm gap, the valve,s may well be bent, how many big gaps were there ?

frank at least 3, Noooo i hope thay havent bent the valves like otherwise im gunna be so gutted i love this car :(

ok thanks frank this suposed 'mechanic' is coming back tomoro to swap my shims for my orginals are the 1.0 shims higher than 1.4s? will this sort it because im not sure 100% thre bent just what the garage said could have happernd,

what do you think is gunna have to be done with the engine is it nackerd? my eninge knowlage isnt great so is it a new engine job?

thanks for the help frank you know your stuff
i am just so gutted my little poor little k11 has been ######d :(

blake

apparently, cg and cga cam,s and shim,s are interchangeble (apart from the dizzy drive slot), so it,s not looking good :down: .
if your man has fubar,d the valve,s, it would work out cheaper to put a cga13 (coilpack 1.4) engine in (i saw one today at a scrappie, £150, asking price).
and get him to cough up for it

:down:, ok thnks frank, well finding a cga14 local to me is gunna be a nightmear.

dont think i will see the guy again thay seemed dodgy tbh

will just have to ring around 2m and lose a days pay.
this is working out expensive but hey you learn from your mistakes

im going to try one of them engine finders on the net see what thay come up with,

do you know if the cga14 engine fit straight in with all my 1.0 stuff? will have to get a garage to do it £££$$$$$!

blake

that,s very level headed thinking, i think you,ve been very unlucky, what with him being recommended and all that.
it,s a shame your so damn far away :doh:

well.. got a quote from a online braker for a cga14, a whooooping £330 at my door :(, IF i go for it i hope its a straight swap for the fubard 1.0.

i carnt afford to keep chucking monney at the car. i work my ass off just to run it.

CG and CGA heads don't share the same bucket and shim arrangements. CG heads use biscuit shims on top of the bucket, where as later CGA heads use solid buckets with top hat shims.

Aside from this the stock base circle from a CG cam compared to a CGA cam should be the same, at least my 773 cams, (which were developed for the CGA engine), were only slightly out of tolerance on their first fitting, and when ordering new shims the biggest difference was less than 0.1mm.

If the mechanic did leave such a gap, (which I find hard to believe unless he literally left out the shim), he should kicked repeatedly in the crotch until there is visible evidence that he has plums in his mouth!

he should kicked repeatedly in the crotch until there is visible evidence that he has plums in his mouth![/QUOTE]

lol if it was reptable garage i would expect them to sort it asap!, but this is a mobile 'monkey' who knows were i live, knows my car, and tbh he wasnt a nice guy at all so i might just have to accept the fact my car is fudged

blake

hopefully someone on here has done a swop, and can give you a definitive answer :grinning: (i can,t think of any reason why not, .,you might want to put the 1.0 flywheel on btw) .
a 1.0 engine would be cheaper, but then you,ve spent money for no gain eh

yeah i have come this far i might aswell get some gains,

i have posted in the genral chat area so more people read it because i need this sorting tomoro!

thanks to everyone for your help you guys are legends!

1.0 flywheel will be staying put frank :blush:

Back