Bent Key :(

Please treat me like a child when you explain or answer me please. I pretty much know nothing about cars. (Also, any suggestions will be carried out by someone capable, I won't be doing anything!)

So I need to get a new key for my Micra (k11, year 2000). It's got a red chip (though I don't really know what this means)....

I've been reading as much as I can understand on the internet, but can't seem to get an answer.

Can I just go to a regular keycutters and get the chip transferred? (Are there other bits in the key I need).

I read also, (correct me if wrong), that the red chip is the part which allows the ignition to turn. Is this actually connected to the key itself , or is it transmitted over a antenna or something?
-so could I just get a blank key cut and leave the chipped one on the key ring? Or is there somewhere I can just put the key so it's close enough.
Or, does the chip only work with that one specific key...

I haven't got a key with buttons or central locking either so I don't know if that makes a difference..

Sorry about all the questions! Please answer in as plain English as you can. :)

Hello and welcome!

Timpsons can cut you a new key and code a new chip to match the one in your broken key. iirc it was just under £30 when I got one done. If the key is broken take all the bits and they might still be able to help. There may be other locksmiths in your area who can help too.

You could get a new key without a chip and have the old chip nearby buy not guaranteed to work all the time so better off getting a key with a chip. If you only have one key get a spare one cut and chipped at the same time - if you loose your only shipped one you're probably stuffed!

The red bit is where there is a small chip and the ignition switch has a sensor and the car's computer (an ECU) reads the code stored in the chip and allows the car to start if it all matches up ok. The key will turn regardless, the car simply wont start without the chip matching the engine ECU.

hth

Back