Inner Arch Corrosion

I've got an MOT coming up next week, so I've been having a poke around the underside to see what gotchas I may find. The main area of concern is the offside rear inner arch, where there are some crunchy bits in the area I've highlighted in the images below.

Both sides have had some previous welding work done before my ownership, and they seem to be pretty solid.

Would this be an MOT fail? I'll get round to sorting it anyway, but is it something I need to do imminently?

Hi Yaffacake
As long as there aren't any holes should be ok.
When you can do clean and rust treat the areas, waxoyl from the other side if possible. Prevention can be better than the cure.
Keeping the rust at bay is a challenge.

Hi Yaffacake
As long as there aren't any holes should be ok.
When you can do clean and rust treat the areas, waxoyl from the other side if possible. Prevention can be better than the cure.
Keeping the rust at bay is a challenge.
Thanks for the reply.

I've had a closer look today, and it looks like that whole corner area has gone through, so an MOT fail for sure. Some of it was behind underseal, so wasn't completely visible. I'm going to have to get some quotes!

I'm having the welding done today by a local mobile welder, and he's also patching up the crossmember, so hopefully the MOT will not have any corrosion fails or advisories. Will report back!

I had a little more welding done for the MOT. Also, a rear wheel bearing and headlight alignment was required. MOT done with a couple of advisories that I can work on at my leisure. All sorted for another year! (y)

Back