corroded cross member

took car for mot today and advisory on cross member severe corrosion. the mechanic reconed if it deteriorated any more the gearbox could fall out! - anybody ever heard of this happening ? he did say you can buy a new cross member but how much would that cost? it cant be welded its too bad
any replies appreciated

Cross member costs about £25 to £30. This is a cheap one ......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-MI...NFORCER-BAR-/111539684044?hash=item19f84882cc

You will need a couple of spot weld drills 8mm i think ..there about 30 to 40 spot welds on it ... and then about 3-4 hours to get old one off and new one BOLTED on ..... then get local garage to spot weld in a few places and job done .... I didnt spot weld mine .... just bolted it on and coated it on waxoyl ... but it should be spot welded really although they are so thin it makes no difference !

thats very helpful thank-you. any idea what is involved in getting old one off - does the front bumper have to come off, radiator out etc? how much in labour roughly to do it?

thats very helpful thank-you. any idea what is involved in getting old one off - does the front bumper have to come off, radiator out etc? how much in labour roughly to do it?
Yes you'll have to remove the bumper and stuff. The more you remove, the easier it'll be to work on. You might be able to leave the rad tied up but for the hassle I'd remove it. It usually cost more than the cars really worth having a garage doing it.

You would get it done on a sunny afternoon easy .... just take your time and buy at least two professional spot weld drills because thats the majority of the work .. you definately dont want to attepmt this with "Grandads old drills" ....
Tip ... if you dont weld the new one and just cover in waxoyl you must ensure front bumper holes are aligned ... cos its not easy aligning them while trying to refit the bumper on your own ...... i did it and took me as long to refit the bumper as it did to drill out the spot welds cos i didnt think to align the bumper bolt holes .... lol....
And remember if you have an Eagle eyed MOTer .. they might question you on welding .... so my advice is to nip it to garage and get a few spot welds .. then its done....... that said mine passed no isseus ... but it was WELL waxoyled lol

Overall its a very very easy job ... just the idea of drilling out welds seems daunting ..... Once you done one i reckon you could do another in under 2 hours easy :) .... obvioulsy add time if you want to waxoyl it all as you go .. which i would highly recommend .... given the rust monster ...

Garage in Weston s Mare was offering replacement at £100 .... but they cut the old ones off halfway down and just weld the bottom part back on .. rather than removing the entire thing . ..... If you think about it, its a £25 part and then 2 hours labour @£50 an hour,..... so £100 to £125 would be reasonable .... charging more would just be a tax on our ignorance ...... "Oh yes mate its a big job .. have to take the bumper and rad and supports and this and that and then the origami needs twisting out of the flip flop " and that will be £450 for the pleasure ;)
Rad doesnt need to be touched ... it will just hang when you remove old one ..... i took top crossmember off and lifted rad a little to clear rusty cross member... although again you might want to clean all the brackets that come off the old cross member as they will be rusty.
You will likely also need an old chisel and hammer to prise it off once you have got all the spot welds ..... doesnt take much :)

Its such an easy job that i now keep an eye out for MOT failures on the crossmember .... bought the last one for £160 .. replaced and sailed through mot .... then sold for £400 ... nice for a few hours work and keeps the Micras on the road :)

Last edited:
10e2600740d44508ce89328ae702f0d1.jpg
made mines by self for only 10 pounds box section, take spot welds out and design one, simple and stronger and doesn't rot easy, mines removable, got a full build pictures too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back