Control arm bolt stuck/spinning.

Hi, I've been replacing the front control arm on my 2002 K11 Nissan Micra and when I was removing the last bolt holding the arm into it's clip it broke on me.

I'm not sure whether the bolt has snapped or whether the welded captive nut that I'm assuming is up there has broken off of it's weld, either way, I can't get it out no matter what I try as it just keeps spinning and wont catch the threads.

I've tried putting pressure on it with a screwdriver or a wrench whilst I screw it out but it's not working. As you can see the other bolt came out and goes in fine, as did the other two on the other side of the car.

Any idea how I get this out? Am I going to have to cut through the inside of the car as shown in the pictures/video to get access? This seems to be where the bolt goes up in to, but I don't have any cutting tools, only a battery powered drill. Will that cut through it and is it safe to do so? It's not structural is it?

There are a couple of threads on the forum with the same issue but they don't have any information on where they cut unfortunately. I think I have to cut just below that small open circle but I'm not sure, anyone know exactly where I should cut/drill to reach it?

I asked on reddit but figured I'd ask here too for a bit more specific info, I don't want to cut in the wrong place and cause more trouble...

Thanks for any help!

I have some pictures and two videos below that should explain what's happening.

IMG-20240509-163123726.jpg

IMG-20240509-163101512-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-161845660-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-162009094-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-163257137.jpg

Reddit link here if video doesn't work:

Hi, I've been replacing the front control arm on my 2002 K11 Nissan Micra and when I was removing the last bolt holding the arm into it's clip it broke on me.

I'm not sure whether the bolt has snapped or whether the welded captive nut that I'm assuming is up there has broken off of it's weld, either way, I can't get it out no matter what I try as it just keeps spinning and wont catch the threads.

I've tried putting pressure on it with a screwdriver or a wrench whilst I screw it out but it's not working. As you can see the other bolt came out and goes in fine, as did the other two on the other side of the car.

Any idea how I get this out? Am I going to have to cut through the inside of the car as shown in the pictures/video to get access? This seems to be where the bolt goes up in to, but I don't have any cutting tools, only a battery powered drill. Will that cut through it and is it safe to do so? It's not structural is it?

There are a couple of threads on the forum with the same issue but they don't have any information on where they cut unfortunately. I think I have to cut just below that small open circle but I'm not sure, anyone know exactly where I should cut/drill to reach it?

I asked on reddit but figured I'd ask here too for a bit more specific info, I don't want to cut in the wrong place and cause more trouble...

Thanks for any help!

I have some pictures and two videos below that should explain what's happening.

IMG-20240509-163123726.jpg

IMG-20240509-163101512-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-161845660-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-162009094-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240509-163257137.jpg

Reddit link here if video doesn't work:

The control arm has to be substantively supported in position by the vehicle structure & its mounting brackets/bolts, therefore a satisfactory repair requires a fully equipped motor engineers workshop & skills to match.

May I suggest that the best option is to get firm quotes from any workshops prepared to take on this job?

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Back