Conceding defeat.........

Hi everyone, in the thread that I started in this sub-forum called "A call to arms" I outlined that my Mum's Micra (Now in the care of my best-mate) had been "Keyed" by my Sister (As she didn't want my mate to have it) I have tried to polish out the scratches (which cover the whole car) but with differing levels of success.

Now, the car is painted in "Apple Green" metallic paint, which my friend has said he would like to keep the car in that colour if possible. The only problem is, he can only afford to get me to do the body work with "rattle cans" and as it's a metallic paint job, I doubt that I will be able to match the panels.

Is there a way to get a decent match on each panel, using only rattle cans? Has anyone tried this, and succeeded?

What would be the best way to go about it? One panel at a time, or a whole side of the car? (The roof and bonnet are almost scratch-free.........)

Many, many thanks for your help : )

Seems like your sister is a nutcase but to the point. Don't try to blend it in, that's possibly the worst think you can try. I think you can get same success with cans as you can with gun. Probably best to do the effected areas at once so you know you'll get the same results on every painted panel.
All you need is good match. Buy guality mix from a good supplier, and some good lacquer, no halfords or simonaze or what ever it's called.
Good prep and clean environment and take your time. Loads of light coats . Lightly sand it before clear as its metallic. And then buff and buff and buff. Good luck, tell us how you got on

painting is 90% prep, 10% spray. if you've (excuse the pun) keyed in the surface properly, the paint will take well to it. it is best to do them all on the same day, and preferably as close to eachoter as possible. this means they should all dry reasonably similarly and have the best result.

Seems like your sister is a nutcase but to the point. Don't try to blend it in, that's possibly the worst think you can try. I think you can get same success with cans as you can with gun. Probably best to do the effected areas at once so you know you'll get the same results on every painted panel.
All you need is good match. Buy guality mix from a good supplier, and some good lacquer, no halfords or simonaze or what ever it's called.
Good prep and clean environment and take your time. Loads of light coats . Lightly sand it before clear as its metallic. And then buff and buff and buff. Good luck, tell us how you got on

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mckenziecz, what brand of paint do you suggest? And after having a nose around on your blog, I noticed that you had a matt black MR2. Was it hard to do, and did you use rattle cans? (As that is the other route for the Micra, if I don't feel up to going down the metallic paint route) How did you manage to spray the inside of the doors and boot on your MR2? (Or did you just leave them the same colour? Cheers : )

@ Nex: The car is now over ten miles away from my Sister, so it shouldn't come to anymore harm.

Back