coil clamps

R

ron martin

Still waiting to collect the cabrio, but cannot get it until the v5 for the private plate arrives. Anyway, my question for u guys. The cabrio is already lowered 25mm and I can get another 15mm by using coil clamps. Anybody used them and do they work?

I am underwhelmed by the number of replies to my query. have taken the bull by the horns and ordered a set. Took delivery of the cabrio today. Cool blue in colour. Never having a micro before, I'm impressed by the motor (1.6)

look after it mate..i would have replied but i dont know anything about coil clamps

I hate when people come on and make sweeping statments about such and such a thing being crap/dangerous/poor... etc...

But i must say that personally i think coil clamps are dangerous... a Set of sports lowering springs are much more suitable..

I agree. You'll probably crash and die/kill someone else if you use coil clamps in the fashion you wish to use them.

Not to mention you'll void your warrenty and insurance.

Don't do it.

clamps

Why are they dangerous? They are not a lash up. They are designed to clamp car springs. If I crash and die, I will post a thread immediately to let u guys know.

they are dangerous because u loose movement throught the coil (as two turns are clamped together) as well as pulling the coil away from both mounting plates

Not sure about the clamps but hope you enjoy the car. :D You'll have to get some pics up. What model did you get then? fwn I've included a pic of my 1.6 sport and one of the colour i think yours is.

Attachments

• 2CA.jpg
    2CA.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 174
  • cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 181
A wouldnt go as far as to say theyre dangerous but as been said its just like tying two coils together so you loose handling and that, mush better off slamming it on coilovers or even shocks/springs....the k12 is ugly anyway so it wont be missed....mah man jokin and seriously calm down, the k12 section is always dead anyways so can take a while for a reply

coils

paul. gravity says that the coils wont pull away. It's just the same as fitting shorter coils. As it's not been tried by any one, I'll keep you posted on the results.

i doubt you would spin out of controll if one did snap anyway

my hks springs are tiny and fall out as soon as the car is jacked up without even taking the shockers off..so thats not a problem either

ron....have you got a pick of a set?

rik go to www.larkspeed,com (your neighbourhood). click on motorsport, click on grayston accessories, and there they are!

rj007. good guess. It's the cool blue. It's actually my wifes car but I take care of the mod's and accessories. maybe I wil;l find out how to post some piccies but it's bog standard at the moment. Will try the clamps, and if no good , will invest in some shorter springs. Dont want to go above 50mm drop. Better breathing and exhaust are on the cards, and perhaps a tasteful spoiler would do something for the back end. I got the Essenza, only because it was a demonstrator and was £2000 of the list price

If it was my car..... I wouldn't fit coil clamps...

The springs are tested within tolerances, not to be changed by clamping them down.

I doubt the insurance would pay out if they found out as well.

Thanks for all your comments. I will bell my insurers today. Will let you know the outcome. Whats the reaction from the insurers when you advise them that your dropping your suspension with springs or lowering kits? I would appreciate any comments

ron martin said:
Thanks for all your comments. I will bell my insurers today. Will let you know the outcome. Whats the reaction from the insurers when you advise them that your dropping your suspension with springs or lowering kits? I would appreciate any comments

they usually say, ok thats x amount more you need to pay on your policy.

its bigger mods like a turbo or engine conversion when they say ooooo we can't insure that.

don't know about coil clamps

for me thay are dangerous as if one breaks during some spririted driving it would cause one side of your car to return to normal height and one side to remain lowered... thats possibly dangerous...

And another point is that the spring will be clamped on a single point at top and bottom so there are - AND + tolerances at the SAME time... could lead to spring failure/early fatigue.

I don't believe it!! Had my first look at the c+c coils, and there aint enough coils to clamp together! It's back to the drawing board. Who makes springs for the K12 with a maximum 50mm drop? 40mm would suit me better. HELP PLEASE! As one door shuts, another opens, so they say. The coil clamps will fit on my Zafira, and I've just ordered 18" rims to replace the 16"s that are fitted. VXR's eat your hearts out. PS. phoned my insurers today about coil clamps. Told them they were for "spring assist" to reduce body roll. My insurers said "ok" and it would be listed on modifications at no charge!.

oh well, whats different between the cc suspension and the hard top k12's?

if theres little to no difference get the fk coilovers that are available :)

Back