Is 1.6 better than 1.4

Hi
Just joined as I have now unintentionally become a Micra owner and enthusiast.
Last November the engine went on my Golf and I needed a car straight away just to see me through Christmas as a temporary measure,until I looked for something else..so I bought a Micra K12.

It's a 2006 petrol, silver 3 door 1.4 manual luxury active..it has 52,000 miles and in great condition with one previous owner. A genuine old lady (Honestly)
I took it for an MOT a few days ago having only changed the rear wiper blade in the past 12 months, and it sailed through with no advisories.
I never got to look for another car.

I do have a question though, I have been fancying a k12 160sr so I keep looking online but so far have not found the right car..they are far and few between so I have never actually driven one.
My question is..
Has anybody on here driven both the 1.4 and the 1.6? if so is there a noticeable difference regarding power,performance etc.
Or would I be better off just sticking with what I have already got.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
My vote for 1.6, with 3 minor modificatios, engine produses 119.8 hp.
"There is no substitute for power produced by displacement", from somewhere...;)

When I tested the MIcra 160sr with NTC-e at Millbrook before they was released, I was surprised how much poke they had. When I then went back into the 1.2/1.4 it was so night and day with the power comparison.
I don’t own a MIcra but I did enjoy the 160sr.

The car you have sounds like a reliable motor, so I would keep it for reliable motoring whilst you look for a 160sr at your leisure, if you decide that model is for you.:unsure:

Thanks for the replies.
Great site by the way,very informative and helpful threads.

I got the chance to drive one today that's for sale and it's made my mind up..I want a 160sr
The steering in the 160sr did feel slightly heavier than the 1.4 which feels very light in comparison . There's no warning lights or anything that looks concerning.
Can anyone tell me if it's just normal to feel the difference between the two and if the 160 is just naturally stiffer..I know it's an expensive job if there's anything wrong.

Thanks.

Steering on the 160SR is mapped differently, the active return is less and the assistance demand is less.
not that expenses to replace if you know the right people!! ?

Thanks huttojb for the reply.
(the active return is less and the assistance demand is less)

So does that mean, after driving my 1.4 with quite vague steering for 12 months the 160sr will feel heavier..at least until i got used to it.

Back