clutch slipping

1.3GX

Ex. Club Member
I left my girlfriends micra into a garage to be fixed (new timing chain) went to collect the car sounded sweet as, anyway i brought the car home and to my disgust i found the biggest puddle of oil i've ever seen underneath the car, so i bring the car back down while im on my way the clutch starts slipping really bad car struggling to make 20mph i make it to the garage left it there, went back the next day seems to be ok no oil under it outside the garage, the whole way home clutch slipping like mad, i haven't drove it since, there is still a few drips of oil coming from the bottom of the car, my question is would the oil leak have caused the clutch to start slipping?

if they have done the timing chain they would have had to have the sump off the car and the oil pump too, the possibilities are,

1) the rear sump seal hasnt been sealed properly and the clutch slipping is just a coincidence.
2) the Main crank pulley bolt has come loose (this happened to mine) and oil is leaking out,
3) they havent sealed the sump/oil pump housing correctly and they are leaking,
4) the sump nut hasnt been done up correctly,
5) its transmision oil that is leaking into the bell housing and leaking all over your clutch plate.

best way to check is to wash the underside of the engine and put some newspaper under the car..... you will be able to see where its leaking from.

but theres not realy any way around it...... its gonna need a new clutch if theres oil on it.

what smell is the oil? is it a realy sickly smell or just oil smell?

and you should take it back to the garage and tell them to fix it properly..

its just the normal engine oil smell, its too dark now for me to check but i'll have a look tomorrow and see what i can find, cheers.

ooooh, just thought, did they take the drive shafts out?

one may have fell out again and leaked oil all over the place..
this may also give the feeling of a clutch slipping...

i dont know what they done to it, but whatever they done they stuffed the car up good and proper :(

take it back, throw the keys at them, tell them to fix it properly as you paid them for a job that hasnt been done correctly and sit in the waiting room untill they have it finished.

yeah they will be fixing it, and i wont be giving them another penny, the car has my heart broke i've spent the last 6 months fixing it up for my girlfriend and this was the last thing to do and now this has happened its gotten to the stage she dosen't even want the car anymore :(

Back