clutch job = diy?

Hi all,

It's now time to do the clutch on my 1.3.

I reckon a clutch kit can be had for £30? Been reading blueprint or luk ones will do.

So is it worth me doing the job myself, never done one before, but it shouldn't be hard really no? I'm all open to big jobs if i am prepared.

Following the haynes manual... is that a foolproof way of doing it? How long would it take me to do it?

So i take the wheel off, disconnect the hub, take out the driveshaft, unbolt the clutch, take the old one off, line the new one up, and reverse the procedure? Is there anything that would need some special attention or technique to do? Just don't wanna be stuck after starting the job, thats all.

Will I need any extra parts on top of the clutch kit, fluids, seals, special tools, etc

Thanks in advance
Deian

deian

you have to "set" the plate in the middle of the f/w (i use a homemade shaft thingy), and removing the battery carrier gives better access.
expect it to take a full day, first time :)

as in centre the clutch you mean?

done by a rod with a tapered end? i will examine the haynes manual closely then,

i was thinking it would take a "few" hours,

deian

more of a stepped rod really, the pilot end needs to be a snug fit in the crank, and the bigger portion a snug fit in the plate (mine,s a drill bit, with black tape wrapped around the middle)

ok thanks frank, i will bare that in mind, what size drill bit was it?

is that the only tricky bit to it? did you need any special or unusual tool that one wouldn't find in the conventional tool box? or would i need to go to my dads drive to do it as he has a lot more tool than i do.

can it be done by one person?

thanks

deian

i,ll have a look tomorrow for the size, the awkward bit tends to be humping the box back on, you just need socket,s and spanner,s and a lever iirc, and i always do it solo :wasntme:

oki doki,

so i don't need ramps do i? cos then i would have difficulty getting the wheel off? unless i use some wood, i can imagine the box being difficult, a jack and some wood may help?

having never done a clutch job before i am a little apprehensive, but i can't see it being that difficult on a micra, i would say it would take me 5 hrs? less maybe.

ur advice is invaluable frank, thanks...

better doing it solo, can't blame anyone else for any mess then can you :down:

spanners, sockets, little pry bar, jack and wood, thats about it, not along job around the 2 hour mark with changing the flywheel too, but ive done mine a few times, all i ever use to line my clutch up is a piece of aluminium bar thats a just fit down the splines, id find it and measure it but it would be of no use cos its for a 1 liter and there different to a 1.3 iirc.

words of advice, gearbox may be a little reluctant to part at first as the dowels stick in, and when putting it back together you may have a little trouble locating the input shaft but just wiggle it about,

if its your first time just take your time, and id allow a good few hours for your first time,

will you be following the haynes? cos theres an easier way in which you dont even have to remove the gearbox from out of the car, you can leave driveshafts connected meaning you dont have to drain that awful gearbox oil.

what i will do first, is take the wheel off and have a good look round

when you say i don't have to take the driveshaft out, do i then just push the box to the side, and do it all from the top/bottom? is this advisable for a beginner?

didn't think oil would wee out when the driveshaft comes out. how does it come off, just pulls off, or is it clipped in with a circlip of some kind, would i need new seals?

thanks

Back