Clutch problem ------------

Have anyone experiance this problem: pressing the clutch feels hard?

My clutch is like a few thousand miles old, it used to feel soft when pressing the clutch to put into gear but over the time its got hard to press down, easy to change gear no problem!! the gearbox oil is all freshly new with active8 solution which i change every year which i cant see that being the problem no matter!!

Cheers

J

To test the cable id just unlatch it from the lever, press the clutch in so the pedal hits the floor then go to the engine bay and pull the cable back by hand to see if its easy

No i didnt oil the cable, ive always suspected the cable although the cable was replaced at the same time as the clutch!! not sure if its a good idea to spray WD40 down the cable or as said to grease up the cable which i should have done from the start!!

J

did u put any oil or grease on the input shaft collar that the release bearing rides on?
cos that will allow clutch dust n dirt to cling on and build up a tacky goo so the bearing can't slide across easily = hard pedal until the strain is too much and either the cable snaps or the weak rivet pin at the end of the cable shears off

ok thanks for your input guys... first of all yes when fitted the clutch all shaft and coller has been greased...

Heres what i done, took the clutch cable off completely and soaked that F-CKER with WD40 sprayed it in each end until the juice dripped from the other end!!

Then re-fitted back, adjusted the clutch able accodingly and testing the height, and now it feels better, like it was when first install! if i could pack the cable with grease i would have done it
but its difficult .. so WD40 seems to have done the trick !

havent taken the car out for a spin as yet but the clutch feels as it should now!

Cheers

J

dry lube, the stuff you use on curtain rails is what I use. Get from any hardwate store. Can use on window seals to make window windig easier too.

dry lube, the stuff you use on curtain rails is what I use. Get from any hardwate store. Can use on window seals to make window windig easier too.

spoilt for choices, "if" it decides to play hard to press style, im gonna pump all kinds of 5**** down the cable, Graphite powder mixed with dry lube (concoxion) of chemicals stuffed down the cable to ensure it aint happening again!! :)

J

If I could let you know my experience with clutch replacements......I learnt to my disadvantage about putting grease on the input shaft of the gear box - I did it on a Renault espace many years ago (the gearbox weighs an absolute ton!!) and the clutch lasted about 6 weeks before it was as heavy as lead (again).....

Whenever I do a clutch these days (rarely, now) I try and make sure that the input shaft is as clean as possible - even to the point where I use a fine rotary wire brush on the splines to make sure that they are as clean as poss.

Secondly, whereas wd40 is cracking stuff it does dry out after a while and I would guess in a month or so your problem will return.....I thought that cables these days had the inner cable Teflon coated or similar and didn't require any lubrication?

I hope I am wrong with this post alpina or you may end up dismantling the clutch again..................

Just trying to help, good luck

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply! It was only the. Clutch cable that I took off! I did slosh the cable with WD 40 which done the trick but for how long it will last I don't know! So I guess time will tell. If it does it again rather than get a QH quality brand cable ill just go for an original Nissan part and I know there gonna be expensive but at the end of the day I want smooth operation on my clutch and not a grinding feel pedal which I used to get.. See how it goes!

J

Back