• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Chrismo's 2000 Micra 1.3 16V Challange

As I had 3 Nissan Primera's before, it was a bit strange to buy this K11. Also because I always had tuned those Primera's to about 175 HP, 210 Nm. This K11 was not even as "slow" as I thought it would be when I took a testdrive.

Sure I took the K11 because I wanted to drive less expensive (fuel, tax, etc), and also my girl was happy with this plan. After a few weeks I made myself a stainless header, becase the standard one had TOO many restrictions:
GroteFoto-8BGDIGBZ.jpg

Next was the handling on the road....the original springs realy are bouncing, so I bougt a pair of lowering springs:
GroteFoto-SVHNINIS.jpg

Because I'm always rebuilding my house, and it's not possible to put things IN the car, I bought this:
GroteFoto-AMUKPBVX.jpg

As I have got a bad back, I had to replace the driverseat (passengerseat is also comming...)
GroteFoto-COWNUILP.jpg

If you take a good look you can see the amp under the seat! It's the perfect place to put it!!

This was the car with all "mods" as written above:
GroteFoto-8HWRLSII.jpg

The brakes also had to change, I got a pair of 1.6 Sunny frontbrakes, and bought a pair of ventilated, drilled diskes:
GroteFoto-7LOOW4ED.jpg

The final thing I did was getting some VERY damaged rims, and cleaned them, let them get shot blasted and powder coated:

GroteFoto-6HVLMZY4.jpg

GroteFoto-EH4F4Y7W.jpg

Well the next thing is a modification on the engine......but that will take more time!

gr Chrismo

Thanks people!! Always nice to get these reactions on your car!

Only it's a pitty there is not much K11-life in my country (Holland)

gr Chrismo

Because I painted the center of there rims blue, I have to make some new pictures. It will be next week, as I want to wash the car first. It looks more like a rallycar than a streetcar now (all day rain here.....)
I will shoot some pictures from the side!

gr Chrismo

Very clean, very nice.

Shame about there no being much of a micra scene in holland. I'm going over there in summer in mine, hoped to see some nice ones, but oh well.

Been a long time!! I've been busy with all sort of things, no time to work on the car (unfortunately).

Now an update:

I've done some upgrades on my engine (CG13DE):

Placed CG10 pistons inside to raise the end compression,
Did some headwork: Cleaning ports, grinding some metal off......making the ports a bit bigger. Valves and valveseats all as new. And a bit skimmed off the head.
Put a pair of Challenge cams (Matthew H) inside the head and placed all new shimms to get the right clearences.
Replaced the upper chain and tensioner.

That's all :laugh:

The engine started right away! But now I have a few things I hope you guys can help me......

I have driven about 50 km's now, and the engine idles a bit low. If I drive and have to stop, the engine almost stalls, ALMOST, but keeps on running and goes to 750 rpm slowly.
If I put my foot on the throttle to drive away, or without any resistance, it's like the engine (only for a fraction of a second) firsts wants to stall, but than starts to rev.

With all these mods I expected the engine to run a bit loopy idle, and get a lot more power, but I must say it doesn't feel much stronger! :down:
I have the feeling there is more power, but it won't come out!!

Perhaps the ignitiontiming is not perfect (as I don't have a timing gun), but I placed it on the same way as I took it off (you can see on the mounting places where the bolts are). Also perhaps the cams are a bit off because the head is skimmed.....but this is almost impossible to find out yourself, as I need a clock to check.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

gr Chrismo

chris, those cams you chose are pretty mild imo (near stock lift and only 254deg duration fwn) and i was dissapointed with my (similar) pipers too :doh:, you need an inlet cam profile more like the one on the left (of pic)
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12753&stc=1&d=1241350033
and i find it a lot easier to check the valve timings with a dipstick down the sparkplug hole, marking it when a .01mm feeler guage starts to bite in the valve clearance (ie, the exact moment when the valve is about to open or close) like in this pic
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10334&stc=1&d=1219953901

Attachments

• PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 393
Haha, just out or the garage and did this same thing Frank! Only I turned the valveshim until it turned a bit more heavy. This should be the point the cam will hit the valve. The inlet and outlet where both (as I could see on the pully) ok.
It's not as secure as it would be with a clock, but now I know there is not a big fault in this.

Idle was ####ty, but now I placed an FPR, set it (without vacuum) at 3,2 bar. Idle is ok now!

To be honest I think with only 55 km driven, I have to wait until 500 for the engine and ecu to get a good relationship.

The A/F gives the good values so there not much that can go wrong. Only thing is I want to check the ignitiontiming. I need a timinglight.........but do I need an Consult for this??

gr Chrismo

Also the exhaust pipe between the kat and endmufler is original.......looks like a spaghetti, the size.
I think if I replace this part it will run a bit better.

chris, i think you just set it at 15deg with a strobe @ 650 rpm (tps disconnected) and i think a bigger bore mid-pipe would only help your top-end (high rpm)
but if you,re after a v-tec type powerband, you might need a wilder inlet cam (mine still puts a :D on my face everyday)

chris, i think you just set it at 15deg with a strobe @ 650 rpm (tps disconnected) and i think a bigger bore mid-pipe would only help your top-end (high rpm)
but if you,re after a v-tec type powerband, you might need a wilder inlet cam (mine still puts a :D on my face everyday)

Ignition was way off! A little bit strange, as I'm sure it is placed the SAME as before! The timinglight both 0 and 15 degrees........the engine was almost 10 degrees off. -5 instead of -15.

Now it's good, but the bolts are almost at the end of the sluts.

gr Chrismo

Back